Keep it or Cut it?

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Brian Van Fleet , how does the spring and fall color of your tree compare to Deshojo and Seigen? Any idea? Do you find this cultivar better/easier to work with?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet , how does the spring and fall color of your tree compare to Deshojo and Seigen? Any idea? Do you find this cultivar better/easier to work with?
This Chishio is a SLOW grower. I have spent 2 decades on this tree now and it is a just ok Japanese Maple bonsai. I probably wouldn’t intentionally pursue it again. Slow to bark up, slow to build ramification, and not great to back-bud. Never had a Desojo, and just starting to work with Seigen. The leaf shape is more consistent with Seigen than Chishio, and the Seigen seems to grow stronger.

The Chishio has great spring color which lasts several weeks, and good fall color; really bright if the weather cooperates, and burgundy if it just gets cold.

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Chishio is a SLOW grower. I have spent 2 decades on this tree now and it is a just ok Japanese Maple bonsai. I probably wouldn’t intentionally pursue it again. Slow to bark up, slow to build ramification, and not great to back-bud. Never had a Desojo, and just starting to work with Seigen. The leaf shape is more consistent with Seigen than Chishio, and the Seigen seems to grow stronger.

The Chishio has great spring color which lasts several weeks, and good fall color; really bright if the weather cooperates, and burgundy if it just gets cold.
Thank you, just the info I needed.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Leafless shot.
F63D190D-13D9-44C3-99BF-6749EF4E0F5E.jpeg
Haven't had a chance to prune it back yet, but the branch I have been growing out to replace part of the too-thick lower left branch is almost ready to take over.
B02646AF-E932-4D31-8470-F910D2124CDF.jpeg

Two of the three grafts took and are slowly building up some mass
32E1FA9C-E442-48F0-B4AC-B8CA0915ACDF.jpegC8B2E8ED-21D9-4E10-9B88-FBD2DE573EE4.jpeg

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you usually wait until that much leaf is showing on all of your deciduous trees before repotting or just the older ones?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you usually wait until that much leaf is showing on all of your deciduous trees before repotting or just the older ones?
This is about perfect from my experience. Too early can make for inconsistent flushing out (plus the inevitable late freeze), later and you risk new growth wilting from not getting the water necessary, due to the diminished root capacity.

Top Bottom