Let Me See Your Yamadori!!!

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Hey people i did a couple searches on the forum and couldn't find a Yamadori specific thread's.
Id like to do some hunting myself,so if you wouldn't mind showing me your finds and maybe some before and after pictures.Just so i know what to characteristics to look for !

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Check special forums, collecting and importing. Also Dan W., Wireme, Mike Frary and a bunch of others have posted stuff pretty regularly.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Yeah but there isnt just an actual thread of every ones yamadori and their progress is there ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know what you're asking. You mean progressive pics of a yamadori being developed over time? There are plenty of threads there that show and explain what to look for in a collection candidate. Rules of thumb--you're NOT going to find a perfect dwarf tree, you start by looking at the first two feet of a trunk. the rest is negotiable. If the first two feet is interesting, with spreading surface roots and some "movement" in it, it's a candidate. If it is just "weird" looking, it's probably garbage.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if what I collect can be called yamadori per se.
But almost every tree I own has been taken from the wild.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
ok well good stuff , i am checking ot the link you sent me

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The guy just wants to see pics of trees we have collected. So difficult sometimes. Why?

Legitimate question! :)

Here buddy, that would be one of my juniper 'yamadori', although in this case the path of the mountain was freakishly close to the lake and I didn't even dig for it as it was part of a group the landscapers from Northwestern were removing:

DSC04093.JPG
I got it last Labor day week-end and started to work on it right away (because I didn't know you have to wait 2 years :oops:).
I didn't die as for today so I keep working on it and it's my 'laboratory juniper' as I tried on it every technique I never use on my nurseries' trees (the other two I had this day I don't touch them and wait for the 2 years)

As @M. Frary said: I don't know if it fits in the yamadori definition but that would be the kind I have (speaking of which it's my trumpet vine yamadori that photobombs the right up corner ;))
:D

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
The guy just wants to see pics of trees we have collected. So difficult sometimes. Why?
Thank you, usually people want to share their passion especially when someone is interested lol i wasnt sure why either

Legitimate question! :)

:D

Thats Awesome thank you for sharing! lol nothing like having a test subject :p

Hunt for good trunks; flare, movement, taper. Here are a few I've collected.

Ok that is what im talking about!!!! This is what i needed to see the before and the after..the ART of this ..seeing what it will be before it is ... simply stunning! that hawthron blows my mind i just cant believe how many year you have put into just those three plants!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey people i did a couple searches on the forum and couldn't find a Yamadori specific thread's.
Id like to do some hunting myself,so if you wouldn't mind showing me your finds and maybe some before and after pictures.Just so i know what to characteristics to look for !

Either Bonsai Study Groups or Bonsai Forums(other bonsai sites)has Yamadori category.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Either Bonsai Study Groups or Bonsai Forums(other bonsai sites)has Yamadori category.
You won't get replies from those sites for days if at all.
I haven't taken pictures of this yet this year. But that is what it looked like at collection and at the end of summer.
I hacked the crap out of it this year already.
A beer can would be dwarfed by this. Think 6 pack.2015-03-28 17.14.18.jpg 2015-08-01 15.28.44.jpg

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok that is what im talking about!!!! This is what i needed to see the before and the after..the ART of this ..seeing what it will be before it is ... simply stunning! that hawthron blows my mind i just cant believe how many year you have put into just those three plants!

Also: hunt for availability! ;)
All the other things (movement, taper, existing nebari and so on) are of course very important but as we say in French: c'est l'occasion qui fait le laron... :)
Sometime (essentially for a beginner) a tree will be so so but it's available for some reason (removed from a yard and put on craiglist or Kijiji, you have to remove it from your yard, the landscapers from your job have to remove it from your job's yard and so on...) and I'll say: take it!
You could work on everything else after.

At least that's is my present-day philosophy.
When I will have tons of trees all more beautiful than its surrounding buddies on the bench then I may become more picky on the choosing :D

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah but there isnt just an actual thread of every ones yamadori and their progress is there ?
Hey Matt,
Over here on the wet coast, yamadori trees are the backbone of my collection. I've got a permit from the local Ministry of Forests so you may have to do the same.?? I also was lucky and got some " urban dori" when a building/development was changing out the landscaping for an expansion........Just search/look for some of my posts.
Here are a couple of photos of some of mine.......just moved so I'm still working on benches and a place to photograph them.
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 92

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Heres the first tree I ever collected. Sorry, I lost the old pics in a cellphone. Its a strangler fig of unknown species, collected near my house. It was taller and had long skinny branches. But here Ive learned what to do with it. Ive had it three years but only in training for a year.. Ive never found another with natural, cool roots. And Im always looking. So if you find a tree you really like, dont lose your chance! You can see another, fatter one behind. Almost all my trees are collected.

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_083234.jpg
    IMG_20160507_083234.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 89

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Hey Matt,
Over here on the wet coast, yamadori trees are the backbone of my collection. I've got a permit from the local Ministry of Forests so you may have to do the same.?? I also was lucky and got some " urban dori" when a building/development was changing out the landscaping for an expansion........Just search/look for some of my posts.
Here are a couple of photos of some of mine.......just moved so I'm still working on benches and a place to photograph them.
Cheers Graham
That is one hell of a nice collection!!!!!

Heres the first tree I ever collected. Sorry, I lost the old pics in a cellphone. Its a strangler fig of unknown species, collected near my house. It was taller and had long skinny branches. But here Ive learned what to do with it. Ive had it three years but only in training for a year.. Ive never found another with natural, cool roots. And Im always looking. So if you find a tree you really like, dont lose your chance! You can see another, fatter one behind. Almost all my trees are collected.
That is sweet. i love how great those roots are !

Also: hunt for availability! ;)
All the other things (movement, taper, existing nebari and so on) are of course very important but as we say in French: c'est l'occasion qui fait le laron... :)
Sometime (essentially for a beginner) a tree will be so so but it's available for some reason (removed from a yard and put on craiglist or Kijiji, you have to remove it from your yard, the landscapers from your job have to remove it from your job's yard and so on...) and I'll say: take it!
You could work on everything else after.

At least that's is my present-day philosophy.
When I will have tons of trees all more beautiful than its surrounding buddies on the bench then I may become more picky on the choosing :D

Thank you so much for the tips

Top Bottom