Let's try to style a juniper

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
What about using the first branch as the new leader and chopping the rest?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
More trunk bend.

editedBP2.jpg
Hmmmmm might have to consider this.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
No I am not very good on the virts but I was thinking along the lines of a literati. That may not be what you are looking for but thought I would throw that possibility out there. Well I sketched something up real quick here at work.

Attachments

• juni1.jpg
    juni1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I like number 1 the best, but also liked 2. Interested to see what you decide to do this is a pretty nice trunk line.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
1, 2, or 4

I agree.

Normally I would start with the nebari, but in this case I would start with the primary branch. In my vision, it HAS to come down dramatically. Therefore I would chose the front that would complement the trunk, the jin, and the branch working together.

This virt needs work - it is too overgrown without enough definition, but it gives you an idea of another direction to go in... I would probably bend the apex to the right a little more - it is too vertical atm in my opinion.

Hard to get a good 3D impression :) This might actually be the back of the tree depending if it were leaning forward or back.

juni_option.jpg

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No I am not very good on the virts but I was thinking along the lines of a literati. That may not be what you are looking for but thought I would throw that possibility out there. Well I sketched something up real quick here at work.

I think the trunk is a little too thick for literati but I like the idea.More than I originally thought I would.

[

QUOTE=sawgrass;179408]View attachment 46827here is my advice[/QUOTE]

This is a good idea and one I hadn't considered, would have to lighten the top a little...one to consider.

I agree.

Normally I would start with the nebari, but in this case I would start with the primary branch. In my vision, it HAS to come down dramatically. Therefore I would chose the front that would complement the trunk, the jin, and the branch working together.

This virt needs work - it is too overgrown without enough definition, but it gives you an idea of another direction to go in... I would probably bend the apex to the right a little more - it is too vertical atm in my opinion.

Hard to get a good 3D impression :) This might actually be the back of the tree depending if it were leaning forward or back.

juni_option.jpg
I'm pretty sure that no matter what the primary branch is going to come down. I want to try to lower the height by bringing all the branches lower then they are now but especially the bottom one. I'll post a picture later of the two possible fronts I've narrowed it down too.
It's great to see the variety of ideas- anyone else?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
These are the two options I decided on for the front. It may change slightly on either one but basically it's one of these.

file_zpsae16c7db.jpg

This side shows off the curves pretty well has interesting dead/live wood interplay and a relatively strong base.The main branch that all the upper foliage comes from is slightly tilted to the front which should make placing the branches a little easier. Here's the base and deadwood from side 1

file_zps76bf5be4.jpg

And here is the second choice

file_zpsd36a5f16.jpg

This side is a little more subtle. The deadwood is not as pronounced but more interesting then it looks here. It will get better in a year or two when the life lines swell up a bit. The base is a little stronger than the other side. The jin will either have to be moved or shortened a lot since it's poking you in the eye. The main branch that most of the foliage is off of goes away but since everything is going to have to be bent like a pretzel it doesn't really matter. Here is the base from side 2.

file_zpseabefdf3.jpg

From either side it is not going to be easy to create the foliage pads on this tree. It is an old tree and all the branches are pencil size and thicker, straight and pretty brittle. They are also all coming from very close to one another. There is not a lot of inner growth so I'm going to have to style the crown with the idea of rebuilding the whole thing with future growth. I'll probably wind up using raffia on most of the branches.

file_zpsdfd4afa1.jpg

So which side do we try? Tell us your ideas and why you think that is the way to go.
Sketches and virts are especially welcome.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score

Not an amazing drawing but seeing this drawing as a thumbnail is a really interesting and inspiring. It's definitely in the right direction more so than the rest

Sorry see drews post above for pic

Last edited:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I accept the challenge!!! Here's a different design based on the descending primary branch.

juni_alt2.jpg

As the trunk starts it's descent it is too straight. Very cool idea but not an A+. Drews tree could be an A or B tree if done right

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As the trunk starts it's descent it is too straight. Very cool idea but not an A+. Drews tree could be an A or B tree if done right

Yeah, a lot would also depend on the top of the trunk where you reduce it. I am assuming some sort of jin there. You are absolutely correct the the descending branch needs more curves. Put it down to the weakness of my virt skills :)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Getting curves in the descending plant would not be difficult. I may keep a version of this as a second choice. I don't think I could use the dropping branch to bring up and make a crown I'd probably have to use some of the branches in the existing crown. Anyhow we'll see. I'm still waiting to see if we get a opinion on a front.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Based off of what's been chosen for the renderings I would say #2

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like BNuts last vert. It brings the whole thing down and makes it more compact imo.
It makes the tree really look like its been battered by snow and wind.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not so sure I like the foliage starting that low. Where the branch drops from the trunk looks a little off to me like this- I think that area needs to be covered.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not so sure I like the foliage starting that low. Where the branch drops from the trunk looks a little off to me like this- I think that area needs to be covered.

I tried eliminating the descending branch entirely, and was left with the "floating tree" look... which I didn't like. Plus it started to look like a cobra striking, or an "s" shape too much for me.

One thing that might help is:
(1) To envision jin at the top of the trunk and
(2) An important back branch that cuts into the void space between the descending branch and the trunk
(3) Adding some more bends to the branch so it isn't so straight, which sadly I can't accomplish with my virt without messing it up.

juni_alt3.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I also wouldn't go as vertical with the planting angle - which might help with your descending branch concern. I think it makes the design a little more dynamic.

juni_alt4.jpg

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Starting to look a little like my tattoo! Hmmm something to consider.

file_zps2c7958da.jpg

If you're wondering yes it is a Naka drawing that was in BT. When I asked if I could use it he said I was crazy but go ahead- at least the tree would live as long as me I did. He was a funny guy.

Top Bottom