Let's try to style a juniper

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I just want to do something creative that I can feel good about with this tree.
QUOTE]

Exactly. Bunjin, bunjin-like, informal upright with bunjin characteristics...I think you guys are arguing over semantics. I see many bonsai with relatively thin, movement filled trunks that I wouldn't call bunjin, but certainly have bunjin like qualities...and I like them when the styling is appropriate and done well. Whether you or I believe it is a true Bunjin or not doesn't really matter as long as you do the material justice, and I'm sure you will. Looking forward to seeing the tree after you're done!

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This has not been an easy tree to work on. Not a lot of space in there for my big hands to wire in. Plus these branches are really stiff.

file_zps9e34aa13.jpg

But I got it done anyhow. Here is where we're at after the initial styling. All the foliage still needs to be closer to the trunk but I didn't want to bend all the branches like spaghetti to make that happen. I compacted the branches and we'll just have to wait awhile for foliage to appear so it can be pushed back some more. This will backbud prolifically on old wood after this so it should be more then a couple of years to have a nice tighter foliage mass. I'm pleased with where we're at. I still have plenty of options if it doesn't respond the way I hope. For the next several months at least I won't do anything but water and fertilize. At the end of the summer I'll look at doing a little more.
So what do you think?

file_zps491c2e9b.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Overall very nice. At some point I can see it without any foliage peeking beyond the right side of the trunk.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Quite the transformation, I really like it. Thanks for sharing your work BP.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks all. I'm looking forward to the next couple of years with this. Another one to go in the not for sale area- at least for awhile.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So what do you think?

file_zps491c2e9b.jpg
You did a marvelous job! (as always :) ) I agree, it came better than all the virt. :cool:

Only thing I'll change now is to shorten that crossing root (you debarked). It disrupts the flow of my vision from enjoying the rest of the tree.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Bob, great job. Is there a guideline as to when the dropping branch should emulate the curves in the trunk or not?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You did a marvelous job! (as always :) ) I agree, it came better than all the virt. :cool:

Only thing I'll change now is to shorten that crossing root (you debarked). It disrupts the flow of my vision from enjoying the rest of the tree.
It runs into a major natural shari that doesn't stand out so much right now. When I treat it, carve and give it a a little time to age it'll lead your eye right up into the tree.

Bob, great job. Is there a guideline as to when the dropping branch should emulate the curves in the trunk or not?

Guideline? What's a guideline???? :cool: As far as I'm concerned it's a matter of personal preference and what the tree allows you to do.

Thanks for all the replies and participation in coming up with the design for this tree. Since the idea seemed generate some thought I'll try it again soon. Just need to find a suitable subject.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
It has similar qualities to a Chinese juniper I just styled. (I'm going to post pics later.) I had lots of difficulty with the raffia as well:)!! I really appreciate the idea of putting this up for "design ideas" on this forum. It makes this transformation that much more enjoyable to watch:), as well as informative. Thanks very much for posting! I really like the "feel" of this tree. Great job.
Btw...I still need to get back up to your nursery...great trees!
Best,
Jonathan

Top Bottom