Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Keep an eye on this posting. Perhaps some insight over time about oaks.

Show us your Oak (Quercus) Pre-Bonsai​

CoreSeverin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It may be on a steady decline. It's not looking like an isolated condition. There might be nothing you can do to prevent that decline. Just curious, because I do this sometimes, on an out-of-the-way branch, is the bud still green like there’s a leaf pending? Or are the buds dried up brown?

I had an oak dug up that looked just fine. However, once summer was in full swing, and the oak probably used up any stored reserve growth energy, the oak declined overall. I gave up when that happened.…so did the oak tree. Eventually it just moved to the burn pile and I looked for a new tree. Oaks, to me and my experience, are very tough to successfully dig up.

However, hang in there and hope for a redistribution of growth energy. It could happen. It might not happen. It would be nice to happen but don’t get too attached.
The situation with this oak is sketchy as all get-out. some buds look dark and brown, others still look green and fresh, on newer twigs and branches. I am really unfamiliar with oaks in general. most of my trees are maples and elms. I guessed that the brown buds were dormant, not sure though.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it’s a “time will tell” tree. I've had trees like this. What I’ve done is give the tree the environment I believe will work, water the tree when I’m watering other trees, and other than that I set it aside in my mind and view. I don’t get attached. I let it go. I take it as a learning experience.…perhaps something to be avoided. And, like many others probably, I repeat this digging all over again and have the same result…..and continue to think….the tree would have looked really cool.

Top Bottom