Oh my word... HUGE bald cypress knee EBAY LISTING

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
@rockm @choppychoppy thanks guys! Those visuals are great.
A question though, why drill all the way through the knee? Wouldn't it be easier to approach graft it?

its because you are not really 'grafting' since the knee is not alive after its collected. it will remain for a long long time and the tree inside will continue to swell and grow and the knee itself will most likely rot away over time to create something else entirely.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
its because you are not really 'grafting' since the knee is not alive after its collected. it will remain for a long long time and the tree inside will continue to swell and grow and the knee itself will most likely rot away over time to create something else entirely.
Scott said that knee of the one he has...has roots. So that makes me wonder...if it grew roots...they are alive are they not?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scott said that knee of the one he has...has roots. So that makes me wonder...if it grew roots...they are alive are they not?
Technically, knees are PARTS of roots. They typically form at the tops of sharply downward growing roots. Knees are very much alive and part of the trees root system. I have read that knee growth does not contain any buds capable of making foliage, however. I don't know if that is specifically true, but I've never seen a knee with leaves or branching on them in nature...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Technically, knees are PARTS of roots. They typically form at the tops of sharply downward growing roots. Knees are very much alive and part of the trees root system. I have read that knee growth does not contain any buds capable of making foliage, however. I don't know if that is specifically true, but I've never seen a knee with leaves or branching on them in nature...
I've lived in Louisiana and Florida for decades and have never seen a knee with leaves or branches naturally. However, I've seen them thriving with grafts quite a few times. This is another example.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I had seen examples of grafted cypress knees before but always assumed the knees themselves either had roots (as the above example seems to) or would grow roots once collected/grafted.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I had seen examples of grafted cypress knees before but always assumed the knees themselves either had roots (as the above example seems to) or would grow roots once collected/grafted.
Knees don't "have roots" per se. They ARE a root, so there are roots attached.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Knees don't "have roots" per se. They ARE a root, so there are roots attached.
So they do have roots. Thanks for clarifying that.

My point is that I had never really thought about the structure of these knees though I knew they were parts of roots. So I didn't know if there were typically fine roots originating directly from the knees right below the water, that would be collected along with the knee. Or, if the knee was cut off flat would it sprout new roots after collection. Still not clear on that one.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So they do have roots. Thanks for clarifying that.

My point is that I had never really thought about the structure of these knees though I knew they were parts of roots. So I didn't know if there were typically fine roots originating directly from the knees right below the water, that would be collected along with the knee. Or, if the knee was cut off flat would it sprout new roots after collection. Still not clear on that one.
I've dug up my share of knees from my friends' yard so here are my experiences:
1)Knees are roots. There are finer roots under the knees, just like there are finer roots from any root.
2)If you collect a knee and plant it, it will never bud and subsequently die when it receive no energy from photosynthesis.
3)Down here in Louisiana, my friends often thread graft a knee while it is till attached to the mother tree, wait until the graft is established well enough, then collect it.
4)Collecting a knee and thread graft all at once is tougher and must be done by more experienced people. I'm not one of them.
5)I am a master of running over knees with mower and break the mower drive shafts.

Funny thing - Over the years, I've helped all my friends dig up and get rid of all their big knees to help them mow the yard easier. Now that I am in bonsai and want to graft a BC knee, there are few to be had :)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've dug up my share of knees from my friends' yard so here are my experiences:
1)Knees are roots. There are finer roots under the knees, just like there are finer roots from any root.
2)If you collect a knee and plant it, it will never bud and subsequently die when it receive no energy from photosynthesis.
3)Down here in Louisiana, my friends often thread graft a knee while it is till attached to the mother tree, wait until the graft is established well enough, then collect it.
4)Collecting a knee and thread graft all at once is tougher and must be done by more experienced people. I'm not one of them.
5)I am a master of running over knees with mower and break the mower drive shafts.

Funny thing - Over the years, I've helped all my friends dig up and get rid of all their big knees to help them mow the yard easier. Now that I am in bonsai and want to graft a BC knee, there are few to be had :)
That's always the way it works - like the old song "don't know what you've got till it's gone".

Let me ask - when people collect the knees, they usually have to cut the bases flat, right? If there are no fine roots on the knee at that point, will it regrow the fine roots after collection? Or do you have to leave the root system of the shoot that is grafted to the knee?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That's always the way it works - like the old song "don't know what you've got till it's gone".

Let me ask - when people collect the knees, they usually have to cut the bases flat, right? If there are no fine roots on the knee at that point, will it regrow the fine roots after collection? Or do you have to leave the root system of the shoot that is grafted to the knee?
This video shows you what's underneath the knees. You usually don't have to cut the base flat at all. You usually cut the connecting roots to the mother tree or to other knees. My friends usually cut about a foot from the knee when collecting and then trim them just enough to fit the training pot. Finer roots will grow out from what you see in the video.

Top Bottom