Oh my word... HUGE bald cypress knee EBAY LISTING

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That's always the way it works - like the old song "don't know what you've got till it's gone".

Let me ask - when people collect the knees, they usually have to cut the bases flat, right? If there are no fine roots on the knee at that point, will it regrow the fine roots after collection? Or do you have to leave the root system of the shoot that is grafted to the knee?
Oops some how my answer came up twice.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This video shows you what's underneath the knees. You usually don't have to cut the base flat at all. You usually cut the connecting roots to the mother tree or to other knees. My friends usually cut about a foot from the knee when collecting and then trim them just enough to fit the training pot. Finer roots will grow out from what you see in the video.
Ah, that video is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it - now I have a much better understanding of what a cypress knee looks like. For some reason I was imagining them extending much deeper.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ah, that video is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it - now I have a much better understanding of what a cypress knee looks like. For some reason I was imagining them extending much deeper.
When you think of BC, think wide and not depth. To withstand the hurricane the BC relies on a wide stance with knees and root spread out to hold on to the soft mud.

Reaction score
its because you are not really 'grafting' since the knee is not alive after its collected. it will remain for a long long time and the tree inside will continue to swell and grow and the knee itself will most likely rot away over time to create something else entirely.

Ahh, so sometimes they are more of a tanuki. Pretty interesting stuff, cheers!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
its because you are not really 'grafting' since the knee is not alive after its collected. it will remain for a long long time and the tree inside will continue to swell and grow and the knee itself will most likely rot away over time to create something else entirely.
This spring I will attempt a thread graft on a living knee and collect it later. It will be just one data point and will be dependent on my poor grafting skill. However I think the knee can be kept alive.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
This spring I will attempt a thread graft on a living knee and collect it later. It will be just one data point and will be dependent on my poor grafting skill. However I think the knee can be kept alive.

Very cool idea - keep us posted

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Talked myself out of the BC grafted knee from Scott. I am intimidated by larger trees. With a bum shoulder...and a tree that continues to grow and develop will only weigh more. I'm more of a shohin gal. Would love to find a clump with movement. Still miss that raft/grove clump looking exposed Japanese Maple I had briefly on the bench.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just came across this video and tree of a grafted knee and found it interesting. (Not my tree, not my video).

Slightly unrelated (sorry, I got stuck in a Bald Cypress knee vortex on youtube today!)... In another video I kept hearing the word for Bald Cypress knee in Louisiana French or Louisiana Creole (I'm not sure which one). It sounded like the speaker was saying "boos-key-oh's". Does anyone know the correct spelling? I assume there's an "x" in there somewhere that I'm missing...

Top Bottom