SUBALPINE FIR

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Spring update. The fir was repotted into a custom made half shell container made by Carl Brock. The tree had lots of roots many of which I kept and just tucked them underneath the rootball to try and preserve as many as possible. I did not want to be too aggressive since I had removed a lot of the original field soil. It is now budding well and vigorously.

I will need to add a small foot or two to the pot to keep the entire piece at the right resting angle.

View attachment 298541

View attachment 298542

View attachment 298543

View attachment 298545

View attachment 298546

View attachment 298547

View attachment 298548

View attachment 298549

View attachment 298550
Love the composition, very creative use of the pot style to complement the growth pattern. Nice colour and texture as well!
You will have fun with the explosion of new growth this season. Lots of shoot selection and removal.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You design and produce beautiful trees. Really like what you have done here. The tree composition it very dynamic, lots of wonderful movement.

With respect to recent repot, it looks unstable to me. Makes me think something bad is about to happen to your wonderful work. Reinforced by the block/wedge you have there now. Would you consider something more horizontal at base, that would ground/stabilize the aesthetic and the mechanics of your composition? Just my opinion, your work is some of the best on this site.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You design and produce beautiful trees. Really like what you have done here. The tree composition it very dynamic, lots of wonderful movement.

With respect to recent repot, it looks unstable to me. Makes me think something bad is about to happen to your wonderful work. Reinforced by the block/wedge you have there now. Would you consider something more horizontal at base, that would ground/stabilize the aesthetic and the mechanics of your composition? Just my opinion, your work is some of the best on this site.

Good point James and something I was wondering myself. I don't know. For now I am looking to add a piece (eg small stone) or create a short leg with cement or two part epoxy to stabilized the pot. Wondering if this was placed in a suiban what it would look like?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love the composition, very creative use of the pot style to complement the growth pattern. Nice colour and texture as well!
You will have fun with the explosion of new growth this season. Lots of shoot selection and removal.

Thank you Frank. I love working with these species. Seems also quite winter hardy even in pots.

Do you keep yours shaded in summer?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you Frank. I love working with these species. Seems also quite winter hardy even in pots.

Do you keep yours shaded in summer?
I do keep mine in the shade, as sub alpine trees they are typically cooler, higher elevation and understory to larger fir, pine and cedar species. I also have noticed they tend to be on the north east sides of the slopes and terrain when collected! Cannot recall one on an exposed southern or western sunny sight!
I think you will find that they will require more frequent repotting and respond quickly with new root formation.
I have taken to bare rooting my collected fir on initial collection if sufficient feeder roots are present. Picture attached. This was the triple trunk I collected.
And I likely mentioned it before, but watch the wiring carefully, soft bark marks quickly and can stain, so use aluminum where possible or wrap looser. Of course one can always wrap the copper if need be or use some raffia.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 16

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do keep mine in the shade, as sub alpine trees they are typically cooler, higher elevation and understory to larger fir, pine and cedar species. I also have noticed they tend to be on the north east sides of the slopes and terrain when collected! Cannot recall one on an exposed southern or western sunny sight!
I think you will find that they will require more frequent repotting and respond quickly with new root formation.
I have taken to bare rooting my collected fir on initial collection if sufficient feeder roots are present. Picture attached. This was the triple trunk I collected.
And I likely mentioned it before, but watch the wiring carefully, soft bark marks quickly and can stain, so use aluminum where possible or wrap looser. Of course one can always wrap the copper if need be or use some raffia.

Great info Frank. Thank you!!

Top Bottom