Superthrive

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If it's fish emulsion.. I'm all for it..but not sure of the science behind dunking.

I've observed personal surveys for The Company my father was doing engineering for.. concluding that Fish Emulsion's (or the nutrients IN the solution) "bioavailability" (NOT SURE if that's the word they use) remained consistent whether dosed via soil, ORRR Absorbed Through foliage. (I'm detracting fire) They use this data to tweak their mixtures.. REALLY neat stuff. Now that my Dad is retired, I can't just "swing by the plant"

My friend, @leonwolf2392 (I forced him to Bnut.. hasn't been back since) actually still works at the SOLELY fish location/plant.

Fish Emulsion is exactly that: Fish, meaning mostly animal proteins and fats, broken down into an emulsion, meaning fatty acids and amino acids. Seaweed extract is "vegan" in that the components are plant derived amino acids, carbohydrates and plant waxes and plant fatty acids. Similar but different. The carbohydrates include some interesting compounds beyond sugars and starches. Total nitrogen of the plant (seaweed) extract is usually lower. Technically, seaweed extract is usually listed as a soil conditioner, where fish emulsion is listed as a fertilizer.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Super Thrive label reminds me of Dr. Bronner's Pure Peppermint Castile Soap--entertaining but not informative.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Whenever I need to get in some good shower reading I just grab that bottle of Dr. Bronner's

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fish Emulsion is exactly that: Fish, meaning mostly animal proteins and fats, broken down into an emulsion, meaning fatty acids and amino acids. Seaweed extract is "vegan" in that the components are plant derived amino acids, carbohydrates and plant waxes and plant fatty acids. Similar but different. The carbohydrates include some interesting compounds beyond sugars and starches. Total nitrogen of the plant (seaweed) extract is usually lower. Technically, seaweed extract is usually listed as a soil conditioner, where fish emulsion is listed as a fertilizer.
Seaweed or kelp tends to contain cytokinins that are known to inhibit transplant shock and mediate drought responses. During one of my endeavours of trying to make a universal plant growth mixture, I made something that caused corn to survive 8 weeks without water. The control group lasted two weeks. Two of the ingredients were humic acid and benzylaminopurine.

The less favorable part is that cytokinins do inhibit root growth.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its all I use for about 50 years now.
I've been hooked for a couple decades myself.

Back when I was a core driller I'd always get harassed by coworkers for using some "hippy soap" at the start of a job. Makes sense, I had long hair, the biggest beard in camp and big bottle of peppermint Dr. Bronner's, I also had clean hands and smelled good too. I'd inevitably convert a few of them by the end of the project.

The words "minty fresh" and "driller" aren't commonly used in the same sentence but thanks to me it's been spoken more than once.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Crack a Rib, or have a tooth abscess out of your head..

THEN come back and talk about Asprin. 🤪😂🤓🥸

(I also have stab wounds and a bullet hole.. notice THESE didn't get previously mentioned)

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many studies that debunk this crap--a few are in the link I previously posted. There are NONE done by the makers of this crap to back up their claims...wonder why that is...and why the label is such hard sell mess.🤑

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Its all I use for about 50 years now.
Main active ingredient peppermint OIL?

Wiccans here and EVERYWHERE swear by Peppermint oil.. lots of black pepper oil use up here, too.

That particular essential oil (P-mint) gets used, by myself, for.. back spasms, tendonitis, Jaw pain, headaches.

Essential oil use (as long as that is, in fact what. t'cha bought) cannot really be argued with... at least from where I'm sitting.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Salicylic acid, aspirin is a plant hormone and is supposed to help.
Interesting! saly is my 5th favorite acid, actually.. after Acetic, Muriatic, Lysergic and Lysine

Makes sense..

I'd make sure to extract PURE Salicylic.. buffers often contain Starches, celluloses, non-essential sodiums, and sometimes even trace metals.

I enjoy Alchemy

Bertel

Seed
Reaction score
I have seen several articles on collecting trees that all mention Superthrive, sometimes soaking the roots after harvest and before potting. I see some Superthrive on Ebay but it looks kinda like a fertalizer, It's from Omri and says "plant food for all plants" It also says " fish fertilizer 4-1-1" Is this what ppl are referring to Superthive when talking about collecting wild plants or am I looking at the wrong thing. Most of the articles also suggest no fertilizer until the plant starts growing so I'm skeptical of this product.
I have been using it for over 15 years, I always soak my trees in in after repotting as it helps recovery. I know it is expensive to buy but when you go buy directions it is not that costly.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are many studies that debunk this crap--a few are in the link I previously posted. There are NONE done by the makers of this crap to back up their claims...wonder why that is...and why the label is such hard sell mess.🤑

Bonsai Heresy's got the history of Superthrive in it, and it's pretty funny. Reader's Digest ran an article that massively exaggerated the findings of an early experiment of vitamin B1 on plant growth. Since basically everyone read Reader's Digest, gardeners all over the country immediately got hooked on using it. The scientist eventually ended up retracting his findings, but that naturally didn't get the same press coverage

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am amazed that anyone cares enough to either condemn, condone, or consecrate the use of a product based upon what others have to say about it.
Like everything else, it can be argued but it will never be decided.
I am also amazed that I bothered to respond to a thread that makes me cringe. If you see me again on this thread just shoot me please. :rolleyes:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Some 40 years ago the Illinois Orchid Society wanted to give free samples of Superthrive out in a courtesy bag we were distributing to registrants at a conference we were hosting. Next thing you know Superthrive wanted to add to their label that the Illinois Orchid Society was endorsing their product. We had to send a cease and desist letter to get them to stop. THey aggressively claim anyone who they can is a "promotor" of their product.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have used superthrive for cuttings. As I am doing the cuttings I put them in a container with superthrive and water before potting them. It may do nothing for them I don’t know but it’s not very expensive.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used superthrive for cuttings. As I am doing the cuttings I put them in a container with superthrive and water before potting them. It may do nothing for them I don’t know but it’s not very expensive.
I do this as well.

Top Bottom