The Lazy “Four Legged Apprentice” Thread

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
While I can't call this little fireball lazy, she is anything but.
She loves to walk around the pond like a little billygoat on the rocks. Not sure how this will work when I get my trees back out.
She has attempted to "prune" everything in the landscape...
Looks like she's contemplating a swim!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can see the schnauzer look to his nose maybe. So cute:)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Stray cats used to knock pots off my bench in the back yard, broke a couple Tokonome pots. Started putting pots on the ground, more trouble with pests, put pots on a single cinder block. This seems high enough to minimize ground insects and worms, and seems to not attract cats, who still roam the empty bench on the other side of the yard. Up until 2008, I always had a big dog to patrol the yard. This was my last dog, 2003 photo of Fritz, who was 145 pounds at his top weight. What a beast, and friendly as heck. Passed away in 2008, have not gotten around to replacing him yet.

Dogs were relatively easy to train to leave trees alone. It requires a good supply of chew toys, tennis balls, and raw hide bones and such. And the use of bitter apple spray. The edges of benches, pots, trees and such that I wanted the dog to avoid were sprayed with the bitter apple spray. Then you had to watch the pup like a hawk for at least 2 or 3 months to make sure they get it. The minute the dog starts to chew a tree or non-approved item, you give a sharp vocal rebuke, but then immediately hand the dog an "approved chew toy" or raw hide or other approved chewable for the dog to go to town on. Pretty quick you can relax, as long as you are careful to keep a good stock of tennis balls, rawhide and chew toys. I always had a stash of 2 or 3 extra chew toys, in case the dog when through them too quickly.

Cats I have not idea how to train. Nothing seems to work.

My "last beast" Fritz a mix of shepherd, malamute and something gawd awful big and furry. 145 pounds,. (66 kg for EU members)

Fritz 2003 DSCN2677.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
. Stray cats
The one in the pot is indeed a stray. After we had to put our indoor cat down, we had a bunch of cat food left and started feeding a male cat that was hanging around. Then his girlfriend showed up and now 4 kittens... They are terrors, knocking stuff over and generally creating havoc but they're still cute as hell. Your dog was a beauty.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
We lost our eldest last month, she will be missed greatly.

We now have a new guy doing his best to fill her shoes. He’s got a lot to learn especially after knocking over a few trees I have on the ground and tearing out some irrigation lines lol. He’s very smart and I’m sure the chaos will subside quickly.
IMG_6180.jpeg
IMG_6178.jpeg

Top Bottom