The right tree for the pot - virtualization exercise

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I was struck by this pot that was posted by Harry Harrington on his Facebook feed today. The pot is by Pierre Rousseau.

hpot1.jpg hpot2.jpg hpot3.jpg
(image credit, Harry Harrington)

I'm trying to get a feel for what look "right" when it comes to matching trees and pots, so I thought it would be fun to play around in GIMP over my lunch break. My choices of tree and placement will be in the next comment...but what about you?

What would you put in this pot, and how? I hope folks will consider sketching up a quick virt or drawing and sharing.

Last edited:

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I choose this Hawthorn by Steve McKee, which won Best Native European Species at Bonsai Europa 2017.
2A4A8817.jpeg
(Image credit Bonsai Empire)

Here are some of the ideas that I came up with....

OPTION 6.png OPTION 2.png OPTION 4.png OPTION 3.png OPTION 1.png

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps it would be easier to ask Mr. Harrington what he would put
in it and why.
Good Day
Anthony

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't have the GIMP or PS skills to match a tree to this pot, let alone the bonsai-skills! It's just so abstract, three pots in one, one 'decaying' over the other. I do see a tree with a lot of dead wood, a very unique tree that suits this pot, and this pot only. It feels like it's hand made for 'the chosen tree'. Harrington has a knack for this kind of stuff..

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I am sure that when Harry Harrington is ready to show us what he's done with the pot, he will, and it will be great. In the meantime though, I'm curious to see what others thoughts are.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That FIRST layer of pot is great....
THEN it is ruined.

I'd probly crash it in the back and toss dead trees on it.

Sorce

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The ugliest tree I could find.
That FIRST layer of pot is great....
THEN it is ruined.

Interesting. What is it about the pot that you don't like?

For me, the layered look is what hooked me. I think it has something to do with the "accidental" nature of it. Like someone left some pots on the ground, and nature will find a way to use them (or, at least it's up to Harry to make it seem that way).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I choose this Hawthorn by Steve McKee, which won Best Native European Species at Bonsai Europa 2017.
View attachment 164355
(Image credit Bonsai Empire)

Here are some of the ideas that I came up with....

View attachment 164356 View attachment 164360 View attachment 164357 View attachment 164358 View attachment 164359

When I looked at this I thought to myself this would be really hard to pull off and either look poor or very good. I think you did great here! Much better than I could have visualized from looking at this pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. What is it about the pot that you don't like?

For me, the layered look is what hooked me. I think it has something to do with the "accidental" nature of it. Like someone left some pots on the ground, and nature will find a way to use them (or, at least it's up to Harry to make it seem that way).

Love your thoughts on it.

I am more traditional.

Sorce

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if a triple trunk literati might work, continuing the theme of "three." The main tree would be straightest, with the other two progressively more twisted. Leaning away from the higher edge of the pots.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Love your thoughts on it.
I am more traditional.

I appreciate your thoughts as well. I will admit that I am still learning about what makes a pot "traditionally" beautiful, so I can only speak to my subjective view, and learn from the subjective (and objective) views of others when it comes to works like this.

I wonder if a triple trunk literati might work, continuing the theme of "three." The main tree would be straightest, with the other two progressively more twisted. Leaning away from the higher edge of the pots.

I like this idea... especially with the third tree leaning out to almost a semi-cascade degree.

I also think it could be cool if each of the three trees appeared to show a different amount of health and vigour. The first, formal upright, plenty of foliage. The second, leaning away from the first, informal upright, somewhat sparse, more live vein than deadwood. The third, leaning out of the pot, literai semi-cascade, mostly deadwood, showing signs of wear. I worry that this would be trying to hard though -- more of a stunt planting than actual art.

Top Bottom