The Walter Pall Box Store Challenge Judging Thread

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm taking this as it IS your goal to make it there...

I hope so...so does Adair....what with the easier drive for you and all!

I had to think about this one a bit.
One needs to walk before they can run.

My goal, for the time being, is to work on, develop and improve my trees along with continuing my own education and experience in order to do that.

Now, that said, Adair had a conversation with me after the National show and he suggested developing a small shohin display. I do have enough different shohin sized trees that I could do that with, including this tree. Most of them need quite a bit more time for development as do I.

My teacher, John Romano also spoke to me about working towards something like that as well.

The National show is a step or two beyond that.

All in good time, my friend.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had to think about this one a bit.
One needs to walk before they can run.

My goal, for the time being, is to work on, develop and improve my trees along with continuing my own education and experience in order to do that.

Now, that said, Adair had a conversation with me after the National show and he suggested developing a small shohin display. I do have enough different shohin sized trees that I could do that with, including this tree. Most of them need quite a bit more time for development as do I.

My teacher, John Romano also spoke to me about working towards something like that as well.

The National show is a step or two beyond that.

All in good time, my friend.
Good, bad or indifferent; I have no desire to enter trees in a show of that level (not that I have a tree that would even be accepted). I'm fine with the little local show my club puts on. I'm not in it (bonsai) for the recognition. I'm not saying you shouldn't follow your desire, it's just not for me. Too much politics for my liking.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good, bad or indifferent; I have no desire to enter trees in a show of that level (not that I have a tree that would even be accepted). I'm fine with the little local show my club puts on. I'm not in it (bonsai) for the recognition. I'm not saying you shouldn't follow your desire, it's just not for me. Too much politics for my liking.

Honestly, showing trees is very very far down my list of desires in bonsai. It never really was a goal and I can't say it really is now.

I have no dilusions. It is probably highly unlikely that I will ever have a tree worthy of the National show.

As I stated, I need to work on my trees and continue learning myself to improve my trees. That is my only real desire right now.

If someday I have a worthy tree, in the words of Teddy Kennedy, we will cross that bridge IF we come to it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if the tree could change your mind, if after twenty, twenty-five years of cultivation, it's image became quite refined and full of wonderment? Do you think your opinion would be different towards shows? @William N. Valavanis started out with sticks in pots.....

Ha! ol' Uncle Teddy wouldn't know a bridge if he drove off it, and that's a fact!! Not a fan.
However, I am a fan of the work done on these trees, but I think you've quite literally lost sight of the forest for the trees!!:D:D
Not criticizing, I'm trying to lift you up and clear away a bit of the "cultural cobwebs" caught in your hair!!:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

I look at my trees and all I can think about is how much I want time to speed up, to see them mature faster. All the while, everything around me flashes by in an instant. My every instinct is focused on squeezing as much out of a minute as I can. I can only nurture and strengthen my weakness for impatience. Time waits for no one.....:(

Again, please, don't take umbrage with my ramblings. I express myself better verbally. But look at it this way, don't be upset because you didn't get a hat-trick(three goals) when you had two goals. You probably got off your game trying to get THE goal when you should just be scoring A goal. Just keep doing what you doing, scoring goals!! Or something like that!! Can you see what I'm getting at?
Hard work and time can produce amazing results.;)

I'm not just a pretty face, clever gif-man with a preternatural ability to decipher a @sorce post.....I'm a deep thinker!!:eek:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@LanceMac10

I think what you are saying is not different from what I am saying.

One step at a time.

I need to advance my knowledge and experience doing bonsai. I need to advance my trees. I have one show ready tree, this one. It's a shohin sized tree. Shohin are generally not displayed by themselves so it needs some friends. I have the friends but they are not ready yet.

In short, I need time and my trees need time. Let's get the trees to the point that they are ready then think about if/when we are going to display them.

I am very pleased where the tree is at this point. 18 months is very fast to go from landscape shrub to a mostly refined bonsai. Does it still need some work? Yep it does, just needs more time.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I should phrase it more towards @Vin and @Paradox looking towards showing a tree as the over-arching theme,(the forest) and the process of shaping a tree and the routine of caring and nurturing, (this is the "tree" part, heheheee). Not that you don't think this way, but I think its ok to say it, as I put it forth in the most positive way I can......:D:D:rolleyes:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In order to see the forest, one must first see the trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love forests!

Sorce

Top Bottom