Thuja Occidentalis 4

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Around here it's HARD to find interesting tsuga... they only start in established areas that I'm familiar with. Under massive canopies. so MANY get shaded out, and competed to death.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ eastern hemlock make exquisite bonsai . You now my history with them . Perfectly at home in there environment apex forest tree with sugar maple Arguable one of the most shade tolerant trees there is . Studies have shown can grow extremely extremely slowly in shade until canopy opens up
Can actually grow fairly fast in good light . Extremely long lived . Shallow spreading roots like the top layer of forest soil . Nature plated bark dark green soft needles light green spring growth all sounds great They are near impossible to find in any stunted version in the wild they have a habit of not liking bonsai soil . Branches will break from the trunk when bending without warning . But I keep looking . Going to restart with some young ones again.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There is positives . You gave wind protection looks great for so many semi light living native plants . The real light lovers like pine maybe not . Depending on which is east for sun . But could make a nice oasis of green πŸ‘πŸ‘
My papavers, chiles, and hemp all do well out there... Every one of my benches get at the VERY LEAST 6 hours of sun.. and most areas get much much more. I chalked it out, at three different times, throughout last growing season, just to male sure.

The wall my back is to when I step out is S-S/E Facing.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Okeeeedokee!

So this was this late-winter, before prune/wire.

IMG_20230317_142509.jpg

After wiring... With "Windswept-Style" intentions leading my fingers.

IMG_20230318_095841.jpg

IMG_20230318_095851.jpg

Then in Summer... Wire was removed, sacrifice was removed and branches begin their re-bound.

Here it is today.

IMG_20230720_095659.jpg

IMG_20230720_095719.jpg

Reaaaaaally needs some more wire to "set it straight"... But I can be patient until autumn.

πŸ€“

Top Bottom