Thuja occidentalis from stock - cold tolerance

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like my fellow Canadian Nigel . And I admit I am not aware what his Thuja pruning technique is . I admire his carefree exploratory learning attitude . And willingness to put it all on YouTube . But I have seen him ignore sound proven bonsai basics . There is nothing wrong with learning and expanding trying new things . But a baseline of sound understanding . In basic principles is necessary . I may be biased to a original teacher of mine . But I much prefer David Easterbrook . As a wealth of knowledge of north east trees . The best info on thuja that I am aware of is The late Nick Lenz book bonsai from the wild . Unfortunately it is out of print . And prices are getting crazy . ( mine was loaned and never returned ) Again there is a lot of knowledge on Hinoki cypress that transfer s to thuja .
You missunderstand!!

(nigel) Just basic pinching technique, like we're talking about.
.. about Nigel.. he does not push his methods or learning AT ALL. I do NOT use his material for reference..

EXCEPT.. the basic fact that he taught me that I could treat/ramify thuja foliage much like juniper.

He does not use wire, which seems..... ill-advised.

I can not watch his videos anymore, even though I respect EVERY horticultural artist's work.

David Easterbrook and Nick Lenz are ACTUAL Bonsai Practitioners!! 🤣🤣

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You missunderstand!!

(nigel) Just basic pinching technique, like we're talking about.
.. about Nigel.. he does not push his methods or learning AT ALL. I do NOT use his material for reference..

EXCEPT.. the basic fact that he taught me that I could treat/ramify thuja foliage much like juniper.

He does not use wire, which seems..... ill-advised.

I can not watch his videos anymore, even though I respect EVERY horticultural artist's work.

David Easterbrook and Nick Lenz are ACTUAL Bonsai Practitioners!! 🤣🤣
He is a practitioner . And I nice guy . Like I said I admire him for what he is trying to do . If his stuff helps great .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Op, if you end up falling in love with Thuja, as I, and others, have, you should consider going out collecting...

They are a dime a dozen... But in places where there are THOUSANDS... You can find material relatively easy.

IMG_20230329_145303.jpg

I am going to be collecting a larger amount of lil, beefy, thuja "trail clearer" specimens to develop into bonsai/pre-bonsai material, this year. I just dug 2 yesterday. My collection window is just BARELY open currently.

The thuja I collect THIS year, will be ready for sale in 2025.

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Op, if you end up falling in love with Thuja, as I, and others, have, you should consider going out collecting...

They are a dime a dozen... But in places where there are THOUSANDS... You can find material relatively easy.

View attachment 479172

I am going to be collecting a larger amount of lil, beefy, thuja "trail clearer" specimens to develop into bonsai/pre-bonsai material, this year. I just dug 2 yesterday. My collection window is just BARELY open currently.

The thuja I collect THIS year, will be ready for sale in 2025.

I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of collecting!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Get right down in there, when considering a tree... Pull back all the moss, leaves, dead grass.... Check it out.

See if the trunk is of a good thickness (a bit thinner than your aspirations for whatever your vision is).. and large sections (anywhere from 5-8" in my opinion ((could change depending on goal size and species))) of straight trunk in the "useable" section is normally a turn-off, personally.

Then give it a shove, hard if you need to... See if you can get it to "give"..or wiggle, even in the slightest.

If it doesn't budge, walk away! 🤣

You don't need the heartache.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The tree I pictured was growing On/in a "nurse log"... And had about 6-8" of "tree" removed prior to collection...

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I said earlier considering your location . At the foot of the Rockies . You have access to what us easterners only dream of . Get involved in the bonsai community clubs etcetera. in your area . As a fellow zone 4 idiot . Some possibilities you may not have thought of . Think where the winter wind can blow hard over flat frozen surface . Then. Meet trees . Especially slightly elevated trees . In the east this normally is the shore or islands . And a frozen lake . But the prairies . I’m sure offers . Lots of opportunity. Look for trees in small rock pockets . Do not overlook urban and garden planting opportunities. As for species . There is a western thuja that is collected . But there are a wealth of other material . Spruce . Pine . Fir . Oak . Elm maple . ( Amur maple ) very cold tolerant and heavily planted in Canada . This may sound stupid but . When you find what should be a good area . Look carefully . And thoroughly . Then take a rest and do it again . A lot of good trees are found the second time .

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As I said earlier considering your location . At the foot of the Rockies . You have access to what us easterners only dream of . Get involved in the bonsai community clubs etcetera. in your area . As a fellow zone 4 idiot . Some possibilities you may not have thought of . Think where the winter wind can blow hard over flat frozen surface . Then. Meet trees . Especially slightly elevated trees . In the east this normally is the shore or islands . And a frozen lake . But the prairies . I’m sure offers . Lots of opportunity. Look for trees in small rock pockets . Do not overlook urban and garden planting opportunities. As for species . There is a western thuja that is collected . But there are a wealth of other material . Spruce . Pine . Fir . Oak . Elm maple . ( Amur maple ) very cold tolerant and heavily planted in Canada . This may sound stupid but . When you find what should be a good area . Look carefully . And thoroughly . Then take a rest and do it again . A lot of good trees are found the second time .

I wish Amur was heavily planted here... By others than just me!

🤪

I'd have game wardens with dual side-arms and kevlar at my door for planting Amurs in the wild, here.. or worse.. SELLING in a traditional "greenhouse" setting.

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a

In terms of collecting, I haven't done much research yet.

When is the best time to collect? Or rather, when should I avoid?

I wrap the root ball in a wet towel and get into a pot asap?

Do I avoid styling for a full year?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In terms of collecting, I haven't done much research yet.

When is the best time to collect? Or rather, when should I avoid?

I wrap the root ball in a wet towel and get into a pot asap?

Do I avoid styling for a full year?
You collect trees in early spring just as buds swell . Idea being the tree will bud out and then create new roots to support itself. . How much you can cut the roots back varies with species . Normally conifers need as many small feeder roots as you can get . Normal practice is pot it up in a box or large container in coarse soil . Protect from wind and heavy sun . As the tree recovers and grows you introduce it to more sun . There is no styling done . Until tree recovers and is healthy , there is no time line on this , young vigorous tree is fast . Old conifer is slow . Beware of over watering the tree as it recovers . Collecting trees from the wild is not as some think a faster way to make bonsai . It is a route to get better material with natural characteristic age . Be prepared you will have trees die . You scout and find trees at other times . Sone people collect in the fall as a tree naturally grows . Tissue in the fall . And it’s less hot and demanding on the roots for moisture . I do not do this in zone 4 thinking is spring gets max time before the first tough winter , fall would be fine if you have a greenhouse to protect the tree first winter . There is a lot more to be said on the subject . But that’s a start

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You collect trees in early spring just as buds swell . Idea being the tree will bud out and then create new roots to support itself. . How much you can cut the roots back varies with species . Normally conifers need as many small feeder roots as you can get . Normal practice is pot it up in a box or large container in coarse soil . Protect from wind and heavy sun . As the tree recovers and grows you introduce it to more sun . There is no styling done . Until tree recovers and is healthy , there is no time line on this , young vigorous tree is fast . Old conifer is slow . Beware of over watering the tree as it recovers . Collecting trees from the wild is not as some think a faster way to make bonsai . It is a route to get better material with natural characteristic age . Be prepared you will have trees die . You scout and find trees at other times . Sone people collect in the fall as a tree naturally grows . Tissue in the fall . And it’s less hot and demanding on the roots for moisture . I do not do this in zone 4 thinking is spring gets max time before the first tough winter , fall would be fine if you have a greenhouse to protect the tree first winter . There is a lot more to be said on the subject . But that’s a start

If your wintering quarters can stay ABOVE freezing... Collecting in fall works... I can't really do this! 🤣🤣 My coldframe was 27dF when -22dF outside (with snow cover).... So yeah.

Agreed about collecting not being "faster".... It takes a good long while to sort out wild roots and form a respectable fine-root pad.

Top Bottom