Bonsaibillie99

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi there, I am brand new to the bonsai world and recently got my first bonsai tree as a birthday gift. Unfortunately I had to go away and left my housemates minding it and I've now returned to it wilting! Any help identifying the tree type and how to save it would be much appreciated!! Here are some pictures!! Thanks guys! Bill

Attachments

• 1622637631336676129205476948066.jpg
    1622637631336676129205476948066.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 1622637666713886379876232722937.jpg
    1622637666713886379876232722937.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 16226376836348207427452703051559.jpg
    16226376836348207427452703051559.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 85

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure what you have but it appears to be a deciduous tree and not the tropical most people start with. If you post your location it would be helpful. I am pretty confident that your tree is going to lose all or most of its leaves within days, but depending on the type of tree it could put out another set of leaves.
You can't rely on others to take care of bonsai unless they are a bonsai nut. In my opinion, a bonsai as a gift is a horrible idea.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a Sageretia theezans and probably a goner. Keep it watered and it may bud back from the trunk or branches, but don’t count on it.

Bonsaibillie99

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not sure what you have but it appears to be a deciduous tree and not the tropical most people start with. If you post your location it would be helpful. I am pretty confident that your tree is going to lose all or most of its leaves within days, but depending on the type of tree it could put out another set of leaves.
You can't rely on others to take care of bonsai unless they are a bonsai nut. In my opinion, a bonsai as a gift is a horrible idea.
Thanks for responding! Maybe less criticism next time and try actually being helpful ☺️ also you should try getting outside sometime and talking to some real people instead of small trees!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for responding! Maybe less criticism next time and try actually being helpful ☺️ also you should try getting outside sometime and talking to some real people instead of small trees!
Seriously? You take this as criticism? I'm not seeing it. Sorry I wasted your time. o_O

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The only gift worse than a bonsai for the uninitiated would be a newborn for bachelor. When ignorant people come here for advice, they learn nothing, unlike people who are merely want to understand.

Bonsaibillie99

Seedling
Reaction score
The only gift worse than a bonsai for the uninitiated would be a newborn for bachelor. When ignorant people come here for advice, they learn nothing, unlike people who are merely want to understand.
Are merely want to understand? Nice

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is not entirely clear what species the bonsai is but first aid for any wilted plant starts with a good soak in water to make sure the entire root system is properly wet again. Water often won't soak right into dry soil so just watering from the top is not good enough. Soak the entire pot for at least 10 minutes, even overnight.
After that it is just a matter of crossing fingers and hoping that the damage was not terminal. Many trees can recover from being dry. Often all the leaves will fall as an emergency response to conserve resources so if that happens don't panic right away. Provided you have acted quickly enough the tree should produce new leaves in a few weeks.

I note that the picture appears to be inside a window. Indoors is not the ideal place for a bonsai. Some tropicals will survive indoors but most tree species are quite difficult to keep indoors for any length of time. Outside is usually best but will vary depending on your location. Adding a location to your profile will allow much better help for your location.

For now I would leave it where it is because changing location can put additional stress on trees. Let this one get over this shock first.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm sorry I'm very sad. I like my tree

Welcome to the site!

As @Brian Van Fleet pointed out, that is probably a Chinese sweet plum, aka Sageretia theezans. It is a sub-tropical from Asia, and believe it or not, is known for sensitivity to drying out or underwatering. Your best bet is to give it a very deep soaking, and then cross your fingers.

I believe people are responding to how hard it is to "gift" someone a bonsai if they don't know how to care for it. In many cases, the tree ends up dying, and the person who was initially excited about their tree, and the art of bonsai, gets depressed, and perhaps never even tries again. The truth it, once you know the basics, it isn't too hard to care for these trees. But it helps a lot if you can learn from someone who has already been keeping bonsai for a long time - because you can learn from their mistakes, and hear about all the trees they killed when they were first starting out :)

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure the soil will meet the sensitive needs of this very particular seedling.

Some plants can handle insults, like lack of moisture or light, better than others. However, the soil in which it is introduced, or finds itself in, and the organisms ability to adapt to it, can show how well the plant may fair in the long term. In some cases, it would have been better to have started off in an entirely different substrate in the first place.

Sometimes plants, like other types of living organisms, do have an amazing ability to recover when you’d think they’d never last in environments where they don’t seem compatible. Hopeful we are pleasantly surprised in this case.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Bonsaibillie99 Don't fret. Almost all of us have killed our first trees.
That wasn't a particularly old or well developed tree, so sad as it might be if you lose it, re-use the pot and try something easier like a ficus (tropical and you can bring it indoors) or an elm (probably needs to stay outside year round) and you'll enjoy the hobby more.
CW

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Bonsaibillie99 Don't fret. Almost all of us have killed our first trees.
That wasn't a particularly old or well developed tree, so sad as it might be if you lose it, re-use the pot and try something easier like a ficus (tropical and you can bring it indoors) or an elm (probably needs to stay outside year round) and you'll enjoy the hobby more.
CW
Or, ya know, first ten trees.

Look around. In real life trees are a dime a dozen. Nice trees, a buck a dozen. Amazing trees, 20+ years a dozen.
Point is, there's always a tree somewhere, so grab it and go, like this guy says.

I feel like many in the thread are mixing statements about the gift and statements about the receiver of the gift. For all we know @Bonsaibillie99 was doing a great job taking care of the tree, and just trusted it to the wrong person, meaning they just didn't do as great a job for whatever reason.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Sageretias are pretty easy to kill, that s**t substrate they use in those china malsais doesnt help either

Titratethis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Y
You try to help someone and they go off on you. And they have no experience. And they asked for help. Amazing🐒

Top Bottom