Twisted trunk shimpaku

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I'd like an apex too. I could have one now by twisting the long branches around and curling them over the top of the tree. But there's so much new growth on top I decided to let that grow and build it out of that over the next couple of years.

This is exactly what I love to read. In 5 years this will be a stunner!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great tree! What size is this tree? Is this from Suthin?

Height is a bit over 8" from the soil surface. I bought it at Suthin's sale, but I don't believe it was Suthin's tree. The quality of his work is consistently very high, but the work done on this one seemed more like student work.

Scott

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Height is a bit over 8" from the soil surface. I bought it at Suthin's sale, but I don't believe it was Suthin's tree. The quality of his work is consistently very high, but the work done on this one seemed more like student work.

Scott

Great tree!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think the tree needs more height because the straight base dictates this. In other words, stretching it up would balance it to my mind. The twisted middle will become visually more and more heavy and may end up looking precarious on the thinner base , especially if the bulk of the foliage is concentrated there, but if it were taller.......??

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Once the newness wears off I believe that Mark will start to recognize that in-spite of the wonderful shape of the trunk, it has it's flaws. Sometimes the most beautiful piece of art is not revealed until it is highlighted in the proper frame. In this case is a wonderfully styled growth around the trunk.

riddler.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think the tree needs more height because the straight base dictates this. In other words, stretching it up would balance it to my mind. The twisted middle will become visually more and more heavy and may end up looking precarious on the thinner base , especially if the bulk of the foliage is concentrated there, but if it were taller.......??

Thank you Michael. I appreciate your experience and insight. I'll have to think on your advice. The typical styling recommendation is to draw the foliage in to frame the main interest in the trunk. But I think I can see what you're saying and appreciate an alternative view.

S

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
like it- just a few more years to get some branch maturity and apex and it'll be gold!

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Too extream, too busy, I just don't get it , Is it supposed to look like a Bonsai ???

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Too extream, too busy, I just don't get it , Is it supposed to look like a Bonsai ???

It's in development, Bolero. A new apex needs to be grown and the branch structure is not there yet. Although I've no idea if it will ever conform to your tastes based on the kind of junipers you've posted in the past, in time it will look like bonsai - at least to me. For now it needs growth. I believe that it requires some grafting on the main branch on the right. Root development was poor when I repotted and it was in bad soil. It's had one styling and I don't imagine I'll work it again other than cleaning the foliage until winter 2018/2019 when the new apical shoots have grown more.

Also, twisted trunk junipers are not to everyone's taste. I happen like these a lot, but not everyone does. I think this tree will look fantastic in 4-5 years and I believe I'll be able to show it easily.

Scott

Last edited:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Scott for your explanation, now I understand and can look at your Twisted Trunk Shimpaku with a totally different
outlook, I applaud your efforts re this tree...
I am not a big fan of dead, dried out, bleached white trunks and branches although I am aware that they grow, survive and exist as such in Mountainous extreme conditions...
I'm confident that if there is a Bonsai hidden in your example that you will bring it out with and at your Bonsai skill level...
Thanks again for explaining your work...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking healthier! Wonder if an angle change would be in order to produce a new apex with the new growth. I enjoy these small trees with interest.

Hi Chicago. I believe something of that sort is in order. A flaw right now is the straight lower trunk. It can be addressed with an angle change tilting the tree more to the left or by some other means

Scott

Reaction score
I love this kind of thread. thanks for uploading them from time to time. lovely tree. . A good one too!
cheers.
toto

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I would tilt it left pretty majorly. It would make the base appear wider and take the eye away feom some of the bulkyness of the top. It may not look so bulky in person

Top Bottom