Twisted trunk shimpaku

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use tea bags to hold cottonseed meal, but I have to pin them down with toothpicks or some small animal makes off with them. Don't the pvc pieces ever tip over?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I use tea bags to hold cottonseed meal, but I have to pin them down with toothpicks or some small animal makes off with them. Don't the pvc pieces ever tip over?

Occasionally, but the fertilizer quickly solidifies so it's not a big deal. Give it a try! Maybe you'll like it better than filling teabags.

S

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I would tilt it left pretty majorly. It would make the base appear wider and take the eye away feom some of the bulkyness of the top. It may not look so bulky in person
Interesting I would tilt it right. Same though.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So I decided to reduce the height of this tree by ground layering. Here’s the technique.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The wire is for reference. That’s the planned soil line. I cut a series of windows along the soil line into the live vein with a chisel. 7B496832-57FC-4C28-AAE0-FD55EE6C555C.jpegD9FF5025-4146-4DDB-9703-77B63DC2DFCF.jpeg1AB21E21-CBCF-494C-96AD-280557966E23.jpeg

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Then pack sphagnum held into place by raffia around the windows. The raffia will rot away eventually.
257C37CB-3760-4B23-BCF9-0F8B365794E3.jpegB12D29EA-49D9-4831-8B2D-FC9FC3ADE639.jpegBEC456BA-24F4-4ED9-99DD-F7F3D3E40321.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you using windows to feed the foliage with the remaining strips while the roots form?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think this is the first time I've seen Scott get a lot of criticism over his work. He obviously had a longer term plan that was not forseen by others. The man knows what he's doing. I like where this one is headed.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are you using windows to feed the foliage with the remaining strips while the roots form?
The strips between the windows will keep the foliage alive and connected to the roots. The windows will callous over and the callous tissue will throw roots. At least that’s the plan.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think this is the first time I've seen Scott get a lot of criticism over his work. He obviously had a longer term plan that was not forseen by others. The man knows what he's doing. I like where this one is headed.
We’re all here to learn and hearing criticism is part of the learning process. In this case I was simply in no rush to bend some foliage around to create an apex because 1) there were lots of shoots that would eventually be better candidates to use for making an apex and 2) I knew that I really wanted to strengthen the tree in order to shorten the trunk. That’s where we are today.

- S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Scott for your explanation, now I understand and can look at your Twisted Trunk Shimpaku with a totally different
outlook, I applaud your efforts re this tree...
I am not a big fan of dead, dried out, bleached white trunks and branches although I am aware that they grow, survive and exist as such in Mountainous extreme conditions...
I'm confident that if there is a Bonsai hidden in your example that you will bring it out with and at your Bonsai skill level...
Thanks again for explaining your work...
Sorry this is old but too funny. Maybe three years later marky finally found that hidden bonsai somewhere inside that ancient littlte twisted tree in a pot. Lmao.

love the (non bonsai) tree btw....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good plan, eager to see how it goes. I have one needing similar work...probably from the same nursery.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Omg I love this tree . How much originally did you pay ?
I can’t recall exactly, but I remember thinking it was a really good price. I bought it at Suthin’s sale. Not from Suthin - one of his students had a table set up and this one was on it. It was not in good health, but it’s recovered to the point where I could attempt to layer it.

S

Top Bottom