Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Side A
image.jpg

Side B
image.jpg

I find myself on a seesaw ... I feel side A,the base seems less straight as the trunk moves towards the viewer. Side B...you see that twist a bit more in the upper trunk.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like A as well. I think it brings the apex slightly forward in a bow.
It surely does...though I can build the other side out toward viewer. A slight angle change. But the base...the lower section seems more in line with the tree on side A...Less pole like.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think "A" is more interesting as presented. However, you're not showing any of the nebari, is there anything buried by soil that might be worth seeing?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think "A" is more interesting as presented. However, you're not showing any of the nebari, is there anything buried by soil that might be worth seeing?
I have not messed under the soil. Just getting to know the species. Next year I will look into what is what...and if worst...deal with a ground layer or something. The tree is not firmly wired into the pot to my suiting. So I have not messed with it to be honest. The tree was repotted shortly before I purchased it. Just being able to be sold after their allotted time they had it tagged not to be sold until after ___. So I didn't feel the need to repot this year. But...will do so next spring. But with it not wired in snug...I have not wished to investigate and compromise what is there now.
Appreciate your words...thanks.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From everything you’ve shown us I think it’s hard to go past A for the front... but bonsai is a 3D world and these are 2D photos ... and pics can lie sometimes!
I’m pretty sure A though. The view in post #10 is nice. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm with COH... front A is better, but the side with the best nebari may ultimately get my vote. Fwiw, gently pulling the soil away from the trunk base may answer our questions.
Well...I found a slight flare and nebari that was more than that one long one that shows on the surface. It's planted at an angle. But what I found...I think I may be surprised when I repot. I have mature nebari...I didn't dig down past uncovering all. Bit am more hopeful than I once was. ?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Counter clockwise a tad... @Stan Kengai . Had this on a FB group...and Adair called out the same direction.
View attachment 195297
I like this view. I think this is your best trunk line. It gives the lower portion of the trunk a little movement, tames the pigeon-breasted appearance of the first bend, and makes the first 2 right branches come out of the side of the trunk instead of the front, all while still showing the movement in the upper trunk. Tilting it to the right might make it even better.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like this view. I think this is your best trunk line. It gives the lower portion of the trunk a little movement, tames the pigeon-breasted appearance of the first bend, and makes the first 2 right branches come out of the side of the trunk instead of the front, all while still showing the movement in the upper trunk. Tilting it to the right might make it even better.
Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated! Adair helped me with the top...where I seemed to have had a Y. It's great having one's see a different aspect that can better one's direction. So blessed to have one's in my circle to offer such direction.
20180604_082421.jpg

Top Bottom