Walter Pall...Japanese maple #1 potted in new position today

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This Japanese Maple is arguably the best J. Maple existent in the World Today. I wrote a critique article on this tree a number of years ago at The Art of Bonsai Project.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
...and in full leaf, no less. I knew you could re-pot/ rootwork A. palmatum in the summer, but WOW!!!....to see THAT tree get a significant root reduction in August without being defoliated is AWESOME!

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Walter is a remarkable artist. His trees are a testament to his skills and I really like his keen dry humor. If you haven't seen his "International bonsai academy" on youtube you should.

Maples like this make me feel something deep in my soul.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...and in full leaf, no less. I knew you could re-pot/ rootwork A. palmatum in the summer, but WOW!!!....to see THAT tree get a significant root reduction in August without being defoliated is AWESOME!

I second that Dav4.

And 'they' say that deciduous trees cannot be repotted any time other than spring, as the buds swell! Just the other day a group here was singing the tune that a Zelkova shouldn't/couldn't be repotted now (i.e. ca 31 Aug).

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that tree is a monster! It is also very beautiful.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Really? Based on what?

Note: I said arguably, which means that you can disagree and would argue contrary to my assessment of this Maple, which is fine. I would argue the same: Based on What?

My personal observation of the tree and having never seen any others as beautiful as this one. Does that make me right? Of course not. Does that make me opinionated? Absolutely!

Bonsai is an art and is open to criticism, critique, and a host of other artsy-craftsy definitions and assessments; there is no right answer. Art is for the most part subjective in that it is applicable to individual items one at a time, even if they belong to a similar genre as a single member, of much larger group.

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Art is for the most part subjective in that it is applicable to individual items one at a time, even if they belong to a similar genre as a single member, of much larger group.

IMO Art is only subjective... the rest is just politics. There is a school of thought that it is objective (objectivism) started by Ayn Rand.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
IMO Art is only subjective... the rest is just politics. There is a school of thought that it is objective (objectivism) started by Ayn Rand.

BTW, that maple is one of my favorite trees.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I would agree with you, not everything that falls into column A: is art but: item A:312 is art------in my opinion. My opinion is subjective. Item A:310 is junk and A:39 is a turd. All of these assessments are subjective ( an acceptable word for opinion).

Sadly you are correct on your other point; the rest is just politics.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The first time I saw that tree by Walter Pall it was really something special. He really captured the feeling of an old deciduous tree and in a way I hadn't seen done as successfully before.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I consider this tree a summer tree. I have many of them. As a maple it looks fantastic in the summer.

In the winter when they are best appreciated, not so much. I absolutely do not like this tree without leaves. All those bone straight trunks ruin what might be a great maple image. The ramification on it looks out of place.

Just my thoughts.

Attachments

• c_pall_maple_002.jpg
    c_pall_maple_002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 58

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I consider this tree a summer tree. I have many of them. As a maple it looks fantastic in the summer.

In the winter when they are best appreciated, not so much. I absolutely do not like this tree without leaves. All those bone straight trunks ruin what might be a great maple image. The ramification on it looks out of place.

Just my thoughts.

Hmmm... Now that you mention it.......ahhhh it's still a great tree!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Wow. Referencing Alisa Rosenbaum in a bonsai forum ! Did you know she collected Medicare for years ?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then she died. The state paid her medical expenses, which is a bit ironic considering her "philosophy".

Top Bottom