What if you can't get Turface?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all, this may have been asked, but I'm not sure. No stores near me sell Turface and I am not going to buy some online and pay an arm and a leg with shipping costs. I did however, find this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ting Media&ref=3665&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x007

It looks just like Turface. I am soon to be purchasing a Bald Cypress (beautiful) pre-bonsai and was planning on putting it into this, along with some bark mulch (and sphagnum peat moss?). Does anyone think it would be fine to use? I don't want to kill the tree as it is a $70 tree. Thanks!

Ryan

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
find your local lesco dealer if you want turface.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, I too was unable to get turface, but another member of this forum, Yenling, was clever enough to track some down locally. He was able to get it at an irriagation company that caters to famers and golf courses. Have you tried that venue?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you, but I do not have any stores like that near me. I have looked everywhere.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh, no I have not Barry, but may consider it. Do you think what I have mentioned would work?

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan,

I read the description of the soil and looks like it would work well with the mix you propose. I may even get some for myself. Thanks for the link.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks other Ryan :)

I hope it works as well. This tree hopefully won't die.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks other Ryan :)

I hope it works as well. This tree hopefully won't die.

I did some more research on it from other vendors. They suggest using it in dry soils as well, not just ponds. One thing in common is that all the vendors said that it won't compact the soil(so it probably won't break down, which is a very good thing for bonsai soil!) and that the granules are a crystaline structure that retain water and promote strong root growth. This leads me to believe that it basically allows for the perfect balance of moisture and air that roots need to grow healthy.

I think for the price that you found it at it a good source for soil components. Good find!

I like to make my own soils and I'm always looking for good sources. Thanks again Ryan:)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm glad I could help! I hope my tree likes it! We shall see I guess.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Redwood Ryan,

I'm not too far from you in NoVA - I've had success getting turface, grani grit and drystall from feed stores. Go to Southern States on the web, and call the various cooperatives to see if you can find one that carries what you need. Last time I was in Charlottesville, I loaded up on those items. There are also some feed stores in MD.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hmm I have been to the Southern Staes in Manassas if you know where that is, but they did not have any. I may either call around or use what I have mentioned. Not sure yet...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all, this may have been asked, but I'm not sure. No stores near me sell Turface and I am not going to buy some online and pay an arm and a leg with shipping costs. I did however, find this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ting Media&ref=3665&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x007

It looks just like Turface. I am soon to be purchasing a Bald Cypress (beautiful) pre-bonsai and was planning on putting it into this, along with some bark mulch (and sphagnum peat moss?). Does anyone think it would be fine to use? I don't want to kill the tree as it is a $70 tree. Thanks!

Ryan

Send Mark Rockwell a PM asking of sources in your area. rockm on the forum. He will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Please remember that this soil medium issue is mostly shrouded in myth. Fast draining soils with inert non soil like components are OK, but should never overshadow what can be expected with correct fertilization and correct watering. Of course this will all be dependent on what the soil is and what your habits become. You can grow beautiful bonsai in akadama and hugyya, and you can grow beautiful bonsai in a 50/50 mix of super soil and play sand from Home Depot. Watering and fertilizing will have to be adjusted to each. You can do this, don't get caught up in all the hype.

Happy New Year, Al

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Al, I will do that now.

I had not planned on overshadowing with the soil. I just mentioned the Sphagnum as I know that the Bald Cypress trees like "wet feet".

Happy New Year to you as well.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ryan,

Just out of curiosity, how much of a pre-bonsai is the BC you are purchasing? Is it ready to go into a training/final pot or are you planning to grow it out more, increase size, etc.?

Kirk

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It is a 10 year old tree. It's got a beautiful trunk, but I kinda want to work on its nebari. I'll post a picture once I receive it.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Send Mark Rockwell a PM asking of sources in your area. rockm on the forum. He will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Please remember that this soil medium issue is mostly shrouded in myth. Fast draining soils with inert non soil like components are OK, but should never overshadow what can be expected with correct fertilization and correct watering. Of course this will all be dependent on what the soil is and what your habits become. You can grow beautiful bonsai in akadama and hugyya, and you can grow beautiful bonsai in a 50/50 mix of super soil and play sand from Home Depot. Watering and fertilizing will have to be adjusted to each. You can do this, don't get caught up in all the hype.

Happy New Year, Al

This is true. So far, in my limited experience, the only trees I've grown that have actually had a major change in the way they grow roots as a result of bonsai soil are my buttonwood trees. But keep in mind the only trees I've really grown consistently over the last decade and a half are buttonwood and crape myrtle. All other trees I've only "Played" with for a few years and then either sold them or lost them to tree oblivion:eek:

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you, but I do not have any stores like that near me. I have looked everywhere.

It took me a lot longer to find it for you, than it would have for you to go to lesco.com and click the store finder link ( http://lesco.com/prodcatalog/storefinder.aspx ), but there's one in Manassas VA. I had to go look and see how far that is from Gainesville, but you would've known that its 21 minutes.

You'd get 4x as much soil for the same money w/ a bag of turface.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don't grow BC but from reading posts and talking to people that do, you can probably skip the peat, it can be problematic, and BC don't necessarily like wet fet, yes I know they grow in swamps, but they grow just fine up here to. From memory I have heard they grow as well if not better in a standard soil.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Check to see if you have a John Deere Landscape store in your area they have it and at a great price.

Top Bottom