You be the judge. Blue Pfitzer Juniper

Which line would you choose?

• Total voters

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One stept at the time brings you to the finish line!

I am not sure. How do pfitzeriana's work? Can you get the foliage compact enough to create a good image? Or are you thinking about grafting?
I can’t say for sure. Much of the growth was shaded out for so long. At the tips it seems mildly compact, but the shaded out stuff is much to leggy to work. I think when I do a heavier foliage trim next year and allow new tips to push, ill have a better idea.
Here’s that difference I was talking about. The more compact growth is at the tips, and the real leggy stuff was from the inside growth. If I can get all the foliage pads to stay looking like that first image, then I’ll be in good shape.6020CE55-BBEE-4263-9BA5-F7F905AAB496.jpeg
DA544679-3727-4F03-9AB0-327BFF91D0B6.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see on the one hand the difference, but also the loose growth habit. I have a few that I think are closely related (Though not nearly as blue) and am not sure how many of those I want to graft :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see on the one hand the difference, but also the loose growth habit. I have a few that I think are closely related (Though not nearly as blue) and am not sure how many of those I want to graft :)
I have yet to graft a juniper but may need to put that idea on the plate!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have yet to graft a juniper but may need to put that idea on the plate!
Same here, foliage looks similair as my virginia grey owl juniper it started tightning up but will never be as dense as a regular chinensis or shimpaku.
The larger the tree the better it will get with this type of foliage i guess.

Nice piece of material looking forward to the progression!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went ahead and styled this tree. Needs rest for the rest of the year but it sure is healthy. All of the pads need long term tweaking but the bones are set. Secondary trunk may end up needing to go, but it follows the original design concept pretty well so far.
C2FE2C0D-C899-420B-BFDC-ACF0BAC98241.jpeg

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That looks great. I like the secondary trunk, if it were mine I’d be considering eliminating that drop branch on the left to give the secondary trunk more space.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks great. I like the secondary trunk, if it were mine I’d be considering eliminating that drop branch on the left to give the secondary trunk more space.
Thanks! Either the drop branch goes or the trunk. I’ll keep em both for now to see how the foliage develops.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The drop branch is pretty far separated from the secondary trunk as seen in this pic. I may in the end leave them both but raise the branch up. I like that branch for depth in the composition. I have such a hard time capturing the depth of my trees in photos with my phone camera.F9520C5C-CFA2-4B43-A43A-162F2CFA0BCD.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's coming along nicely. Full sun should help the foliage tighten up some.

The Maryland Bonsai Association is having their meeting on the 25th of this month. This will be my first meeting with them. I'm bringing in one of my larger junipers to start working on. Your junipers definitely helping with ideas.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's coming along nicely. Full sun should help the foliage tighten up some.

The Maryland Bonsai Association is having their meeting on the 25th of this month. This will be my first meeting with them. I'm bringing in one of my larger junipers to start working on. Your junipers definitely helping with ideas.
Thanks Pitoon! Thing with this one though that I may need to accept is the foliage. Unless I want to graft at some point. This guy gets FULL New Mexico sun all day every day. And it’s all still a bit slouchy.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Pitoon! Thing with this one though that I may need to accept is the foliage. Unless I want to graft at some point. This guy gets FULL New Mexico sun all day every day. And it’s all still a bit slouchy.
Try grafting some shimp onto it

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The branch to the right where the black tape starts has an angle that's inconsistent with the rest of the branches. I'd try really hard to pull it down (probably using a guy-wire and coming back to it over time). Also, either wire the danglies or pluck them, particularly on the bottom branch. (Positioning them so they're flat or slightly pointing up will invigorate them.). Other than that, the tree looks like its going to be a nice one and you've done well with it. I wouldn't hesitate to keep the foliage it has.

Top Bottom