Your "Last Tree of the Year" 2016 Thread

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up these three Japanese Black Pine from the local landscape nursery. End of year special, all three for $40 total. A lot of work ahead of me especially because these are my first JPP. I will be looking for help in the near future.
Happy New Year
2017-01-01 15.32.34.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and finally, Linden crossed my way, to be chopped as soon as it " shows me a new leader "
I am growing a bunch of linden seedlings out in my garden. Currently at about 2inch thick, 1/2 foot. I find they pop buds lower on the trunk, after chopping in late fall/early winter. I have just reduced all the 2 year old branches back to stumps 2 weeks ago.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not trees per say, just tiny sticks; but I bought a bunch of tropicals for myself for Christmas. A Dwarf pomegranate, Barbados cherry, Willow leaf ficus, Magnolia and a Singapore holly.

bGVdDgw.png

ENzbtP2.png

ii74aqd.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
May I ask how old is this tree and what's called?
A bit orgasmic looking at it ;)
This is a Korean Hornbeam. @Vin has named it for me...

From 6 you get one. Then 6 will get one. 7 trees effecting 7 lives. Kind of like the Seven Samurai. Those trees are bound for glory. Maybe you should name yours The Seventh Samurai. Quite fitting I think.

The name came from the 6 trees I had to sell to acquire this one lol.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I confess - the last tree I bought in 2016 wasn't for me. It was for Si Nguyen. He just doesn't know it yet. I saw it in a nursery and snapped it up because it is exactly the kind of tree he likes. I just have to repot it in something in the Spring, clean it up, and he will beg me to have it. :)

Prior to that, I bought some trees on my Fresno Road Trip. I will edit this post and add photos when the sun comes up :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Got this one from a friend on Saturday. He does not know the plant's name. Can anyone ID this one? It does have small flowers, white or red.

I was going to say Serissa japonica until you mentioned the red flowers. You sure they were red and not pink?

/edit Oops Brian beat me to it.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jester217300 ..... Maybe everyone else knows, but for me, what is that on the White Board behind the tree??
And I do like your tree, I see one about that size (trunk) by a mailbox on my way to work everyday. I have told the owner if they ever decide they don't want it , just give me a call.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My very last tree was a cute little shohin willow leaf ficus I bought from NEBG in the beginning of December.
I havent taken a picture of it yet to show.

The "last" tree I bought before the ficus was this scots pine at the Nationals Show
It needs to be repotted back into a training pot, fed, fed and fed some more to convince it to back bud and grow some new branches to replace some of the long straight ones its got now.

Front.jpg

Last edited:

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was going to say Serissa japonica until you mentioned the red flowers. You sure they were red and not pink?

/edit Oops Brian beat me to it.
Thanks Brian and BN for ID the plant. Now I have the ID, and read on how to taking care of it. :) The plant was neglected by my friend, he is not doing bonsai.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jester217300 ..... Maybe everyone else knows, but for me, what is that on the White Board behind the tree??
And I do like your tree, I see one about that size (trunk) by a mailbox on my way to work everyday. I have told the owner if they ever decide they don't want it , just give me a call.
That is some wiring diagrams Mauro made during a lecture on wiring. The video is posted on Vance's "About wiring" thread.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ever get that nagging feeling that you are forgetting something?
Well I had that feeling when I typed my previous post.
When I walked out into the garage this morning I finally realized what I had been forgetting.

I bought this weird Trident maple at the same time I bought the ficus.
Sorry for the pic on the back of the truck instead of a plain background but it was 35 degrees and I didnt want to go to the hassle of setting it all up.

TM_Jan2016 (1)_small.jpg

Top Bottom