Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I see the exposed root,what does on do with these bendy roots?

Depends on what's going on under the soil surface. I could remove it entirely, shorten it and hope for new ramification, emphasize it, tilt the planting angle to hide it, or split it and insert a wedge to keep it from fusing back together.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmm,it all depends on the length of the loop.

I have a white pine with a similar loop,it's earmarked for removal,but not yet as it's fully barked.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Brian,

I'm glad you started this thread because it's been difficult for me to find info on zuisho in general. I also have one, but it's a 3 y/o graft. How did you get so much growth on it each season? I purchased mine knowing I would need to be patient, but if you have any tips I would be most grateful=)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Tanlu,
Patience is probably the first requirement. Resistance is probably the second.

I've had this tree since '06, when it arrived as a 2 year old graft. I have yet to prune a single shoot or root on it. It has grown exponentially each year, meaning it's doubled in size by the end of each growing season, so you should start to see this in the next couple years. it is amazing to look back and see how far it's come in just a few years.

I slip-potted it in '08 from a 1-gallon can to a slightly larger terra-cotta pot and just keep it growing as strong as possible. I really don't think it needs to be repotted next year, but if I do anything, I may just shift it to a slightly larger terra-cotta container.

Since I'm in the South, I do move it from full sun to mostly shade from June-October.

Also, and this is personal preference (everybody has their own experiences), this soil is mostly aggregate, 2 parts lava rock, 2 parts Turface, 1 part pine bark, and if I shift it to a bigger pot next spring, I will use 2 lava, 2 Turface, and 1 Akadama. I also feed very heavily, but all organic; cakes made from PlantTone, and weekly doses of fish emulsion.

Finally, read in Bonsai Today. Articles on zuisho are in the following issues:

Attachments

• Zuisho articles in Bonsai Today.JPG
    Zuisho articles in Bonsai Today.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 279

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Woops.. Mine is actually a cutting. Which probably changes many things...correct? Perhaps mapleman77 can help me out with this too. The base of my zuisho is a little more than 0.5". I live 40 mins from New York City (zone 6b). Would you say your region's long growing season is also a major contributor to the plant's rapid growth?

Do you use trace elements in the spring? If so, how were the results? I purchased a bottle of that and the zuisho from Julian Adams, a vendor whose been developing quality bonsai-material for 30+years, and zuisho five needle pines for 25 years. He highly recommended the use of micromax which contains those trace elements. He's particularly knowledgeable about pines and I definitely recommend him (adamsbonsai.com) as a prime source for quality, low-priced material. He is based in VA, which should make shipping much cheaper for anyone on the east coast.

In terms of repotting it, I say just let it chill in that pot for a few more years. I read an article by Colin Lewis, saying that pines shouldn't be repotted as often as most people think. Leaving it in the same pot for 5 years or more would help develop the nebari and help "age" the bark. I think the trick is just to slip-pot it into a very large, shallow pot from the very beginning. I'm going to do that with all my pines in later this winter.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Woops.. Mine is actually a cutting. Which probably changes many things...correct?

Would you say your region's long growing season is also a major contributor to the plant's rapid growth?

Do you use trace elements in the spring?

In terms of repotting it, I say just let it chill in that pot for a few more years.

I read an article by Colin Lewis, saying that pines shouldn't be repotted as often as most people think. ...
I think the trick is just to slip-pot it into a very large, shallow pot from the very beginning. I'm going to do that with all my pines in later this winter.

Hey Tanlu,
My $.02 on the points above: I think as a cutting, it may be a little slower, but not much; just my guess. I don't think the long growing season helps, since it only puts on one flush of growth a year, then I spend the rest of the year keeping it from getting a sunburn! You may actually get better results in your northern clime where you can keep it in the sun most of the year. I'd photograph the tree each year and just watch the development. It would be interesting to see.

Trace Elements: I absolutely do use micronutrients. Every month or so, I'll hit everything with a product called EcoVie, a \micronutrient solution derived from sea water. I also mix some in with my cakes (recipe here: http://www.nebaribonsai.com/Nebari_Bonsai_112109/Resources.html), so some is always leaching into the soil.

I agree that pines shouldn't be repotted very often, and usually the need is based on soil condition rather than being pot-bound. But I'd caution you against putting trees into too-large containers. Read about soil collapse here: http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/soilage.htm and overpotting here: http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/earthpot.htm good stuff.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do these thicken up pretty quickly? It looks like you've gotten nice growth out of them without putting them in the ground. Julian Adams sells zuisho rooted cuttings and airlayers, and I've been thinking about trying them out.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do these thicken up pretty quickly? It looks like you've gotten nice growth out of them without putting them in the ground. Julian Adams sells zuisho rooted cuttings and airlayers, and I've been thinking about trying them out.

Yes, and no...it's all relative. Compared to a trident maple, they're a snail. Compared to other pines I'm growing in containers, it seems to bulk up nicely a little more each year. Definitely more noticeable than most of my pines in bonsai pots. Looking at the magazines, it seems these are definitely among the faster-growing JWPs.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, and no...it's all relative. Compared to a trident maple, they're a snail. Compared to other pines I'm growing in containers, it seems to bulk up nicely a little more each year. Definitely more noticeable than most of my pines in bonsai pots. Looking at the magazines, it seems these are definitely among the faster-growing JWPs.

Good to know. Thanks and good luck with yours!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The most comprehensive, extensive and authoritative article on Zuisho Japanese five-needle pine in English is:
ZUISHO: Japanese Five-needle Pine- Thirty Years Research Since The Fatal Encounter

It was written by Saichi Suzuki who introduced this special pine cultivar to the Japanese bonsai community in the 1950's. The 24 installment article is located in International BONSAI magazines from the 1986/NO. 1 through the 1991/NO. 3 issue.

Additionally we have featured Zuisho Japanese five-needle pine on the cover several times, as well as restyling photo essays by Masahiko Kimura. Mikio Oshima, the well-known bonsai artist has also written several articles too.

Look for these magazines in your club's library or from older members in your club. They are invaluable and also offer information which can be applied to other pine growing.

Bill

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The 24 installment article is located in International BONSAI magazines from the 1986/NO. 1 through the 1991/NO. 3 issue.

Bill

Thanks Bill, that's great information. Have you considered reprinting any of the "lost issues"? Or even doing a "best of" series?

Personally, I think you could re-introduce great material to a whole new generation of enthusiasts...

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have three cuttings i got from julian this past year, and they are doing great. A teacher i worked with said these trees grow as fast in containers as they do in the ground. One of the only pines that grow as well as if they were planted. They take 7 - 8 years to get started, then grow pretty fast for pines. I think they are cool, but seem to be a little tempermental.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The most comprehensive, extensive and authoritative article on Zuisho Japanese five-needle pine in English is:
ZUISHO: Japanese Five-needle Pine- Thirty Years Research Since The Fatal Encounter

It was written by Saichi Suzuki who introduced this special pine cultivar to the Japanese bonsai community in the 1950's. The 24 installment article is located in International BONSAI magazines from the 1986/NO. 1 through the 1991/NO. 3 issue.

Additionally we have featured Zuisho Japanese five-needle pine on the cover several times, as well as restyling photo essays by Masahiko Kimura. Mikio Oshima, the well-known bonsai artist has also written several articles too.

Look for these magazines in your club's library or from older members in your club. They are invaluable and also offer information which can be applied to other pine growing.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for that info! I started bonsai last year and I'm eager to learn as much as possible, especially about pines.

Is there any way to access these articles online?

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brian,

That gives me more confidence to grow Japanese White Pine. Our New York autumn weather this year seems to have been in my favor. Since I purchased all my pines around the end of the summer, it seems like the extended mild weather and rain has helped them acclimatize.

I will be careful not to over-pot them, I find Brent's articles to be very informative and I read them repeatedly to digest the info.

I'm glad the micronutrients are working for you. I purchased a bottle of micronutrients (micromax) from Julian Adams, but won't be using it till this early spring. I looked at the ingredients and percentages on the bottle, and compared it to other companies. It seemed to contain all of the same, if not more minerals/elements. It should be interesting to see how it benefits the plants in a series of seasonal photos.

mcpesq817,

If you're really considering it, I highly recommend you contact him and order some trees. He's an honest guy, and that sells quality products at a very reasonable price. I haven't seen anyone sell Zuisho Five-Needle Pine (already rare in this country) cuttings and air layers at such a reasonable price. It's even more convenient for those of us on the east coast in terms of shipping costs. Purchasing them in early spring would be perfect timing for repotting.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mcpesq817,

If you're really considering it, I highly recommend you contact him and order some trees. He's an honest guy, and that sells quality products at a very reasonable price. I haven't seen anyone sell Zuisho Five-Needle Pine (already rare in this country) cuttings and air layers at such a reasonable price. It's even more convenient for those of us on the east coast in terms of shipping costs. Purchasing them in early spring would be perfect timing for repotting.

Hi Tanlu,

I've bought wire from Julian Adams before and had a chance to chat with him at the spring show at the National Arboretum this past spring. He's a really nice guy and a good person to do business with.

I've always liked Zuishos, but running out of room on my benches. Of course if this is going to be a 20 year project, I might as well start now :rolleyes:

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Tanlu,

I've bought wire from Julian Adams before and had a chance to chat with him at the spring show at the National Arboretum this past spring. He's a really nice guy and a good person to do business with.

I've always liked Zuishos, but running out of room on my benches. Of course if this is going to be a 20 year project, I might as well start now :rolleyes:

mcpesq817,

I had some nice chats with him on the phone. He is a good man, VERY patient, and informative when giving advice about bonsai care. He may be one the top pine experts in the US. I purchased a 3y/o Zuisho Five Needle Pine, 5y/o Ishizuchi Five Needle Pine, and a 5y/o Mikawa Black Pine. They arrived healthy, on time, and were extremely affordable! I'm young and poor, so I purchased them young, knowing they would all be long-term projects. But I'm hoping, with proper care, the Mikawa Black Pine may take as little as 4 years to become a nice shohin bonsai.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Summer Update

Here are a few photos from the Zuisho in this thread...

1. Potted up from the pot on the right (March)
2. Removed the iron bar used to straighten the trunk (July 1)
3. Light summer pruning to head off some reverse taper potential (July 1)
4. The high root has been dealt with. The base is nice and roots are radial from the same level now.

This winter, I'll wire a few main branches into position and give it a few more years to continue thickening up.

Attachments

• DSC05823.jpg
    DSC05823.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC06363.jpg
    DSC06363.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC06364.jpg
    DSC06364.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 334
Top Bottom