my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, they all died.
Thank you for your reply.
May I ask if you are planning to try again with Pine cuttings?
Recently I had been searching on the internet for info about Pine cuttings (@Anthony has mentioned he has been successful in growing them in Trinidad) and I read about successful propagation of Pines by hardwood cuttings using Hydroponic/Aeroponic cloner systems.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thank you for your reply.
May I ask if you are planning to try again with Pine cuttings?
Recently I had been searching on the internet for info about Pine cuttings (@Anthony has mentioned he has been successful in growing them in Trinidad) and I read about successful propagation of Pines by hardwood cuttings using Hydroponic/Aeroponic cloner systems.
Probably won’t try cuttings in the near future. I would be surprised if JWP grows in Trinidad.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ... I would be surprised if JWP grows in Trinidad.
No, he is not talking about JWP cuttings, but for JBP cuttings.
If interested post #35

By the way, I was reading a few days ago a post of yours and you were referring to your Mediterranean Cypress.
May I ask you, is there any separate thread here on BNut about this tree which I was not successful to locate?
I am interested in your growing/designing method/technique :oops:

Thank you very much for your response, Sir!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
By the way, I was reading a few days ago a post of yours and you were referring to your Mediterranean Cypress.
May I ask you, is there any separate thread here on BNut about this tree which I was not successful to locate?
I am interested in your growing/designing method/technique :oops:!
No, those were just Cypresses as landscape plantings, nothing in pots.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah ha, a challenge from Brian :):cool:

Now the question is it fridge winter every year or
once within four years?
Starts Jan/Feb.
Good Day
Anthony

*Sadly no Zuisho from seeds.:(

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think it has been in the ground since 2016, 4 growing seasons. I always get worried about growing pines in the ground because the roots tend to run away. So I dug it up today, and slightly overpotted it, without removing any roots. I’m hopeful it won’t skip a beat.
Dug:
BCFDA962-ED32-4FC9-9F8C-5C34FA9DED6A.jpeg
30EC79BA-7EB7-42A9-B779-01B4F4C598A6.jpeg

the roots:
3697A2FA-2F51-425D-9AD9-4344BF6262C6.jpegA48A2147-D0BB-4C5E-9928-4D743EA1CD06.jpeg

soil worked in:
976B7EE8-B810-480A-81B8-F96334AB93F6.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice!

it looks like it’s trying to “break out of” the juvenile bark. Just starting to develop cracks.

once it starts to crack open, and it starts to peel away, it’s helpful to peel the juvenile bark off, and expose the mature bark underneath. You won’t be able to get it all off at once, it takes a couple years, but peeling it accelerates having mature bark.

I have three zuishou, two in the middle stages of “peeling” and one just starting.

you just peel the grey junenile bark off once. The mature bark underneath, you leave alone.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

it looks like it’s trying to “break out of” the juvenile bark. Just starting to develop cracks.

once it starts to crack open, and it starts to peel away, it’s helpful to peel the juvenile bark off, and expose the mature bark underneath. You won’t be able to get it all off at once, it takes a couple years, but peeling it accelerates having mature bark.

I have three zuishou, two in the middle stages of “peeling” and one just starting.

you just peel the grey junenile bark off once. The mature bark underneath, you leave alone.
This is just a zuisho specific thing?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is just a zuisho specific thing?
I’m not sure. The only ones I’ve done it to are Zuishou. But I don’t know why it wouldn’t apply to other JWP as well. But... I need to ask. Boon has mentioned the technique to me twice, but both times the subject was a zuishou.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Brian. I have a Kokonoe JWP that needs thickening and I'll use this progression for reference. The needles are about the same size, so I hope that it reacts in a similar way.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Brian. I have a Kokonoe JWP that needs thickening and I'll use this progression for reference. The needles are about the same size, so I hope that it reacts in a similar way.
They’re very similar, both are considered “dwarf” pines. I have both cultivars.

Top Bottom