A Potters Progress

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
AS I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream. I dreamed, and behold, I saw a man clothed with rags, standing in a certain place, with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden upon his back. I looked, and saw him open the book, and read therein; and as he read, he wept and trembled; and, not being able longer to contain, he brake out with a lamentable cry, saying, "What shall I do?"

While I still ponder the above, I decided in my mid-life, it might be a good idea to make some pots whilst I ponder. So this is where I'll put all my general potting progress, in the sharing spirit of bonsainutters everywhere.

Gratuitous overload of the latest (one) pot:

20220310_164034.jpg20220310_164114.jpg20220310_161838.jpg20220310_161908.jpg20220310_162431.jpg20220310_162758.jpg

Surprisingly difficult to convey the colour and surface, it's a really great dark purple with light sandy flecks. However, it's not all good news, I found out from test bars in the same firing that the porosity is about 9.5%! Now, the open / closed ratio is low but still, it's too high.

I spoke to the manufacturers ceramics technician, and he suggested I could get it down below 3% by adding flux, so I've made some test bars, and will find out soon if that helps. Presumably, a pug mill would allow me to dose a large batch, but is there a hand method for adding dry materials to say 10-20kg of clay?

Attachments

• 20220315_104142.jpg
    20220315_104142.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220315_115210.jpg
    20220315_115210.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 15

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice!!!!

Improving by leaps and bounds, friend!!

I am internally "moved" by the feet on that first pictured one. I LOVE them!

I'm gonna be entirely "true".. and say... I'm thoroughly jealous of that first one, honestly. It's absolutely splendid..

Every line is fantastic.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had a dream.. that your shared quote reminded me of. (Mind you I'm a 'dreamer' and have been flexing my recall/lucidity 'muscles" since about freshman year of High School)

I was in a chamber.. which appears to be the bottom of an ENORMOUS, Very deep well.. The Rock walls in the barely visible distance Twisted and ensnared with Root/vine-like growth.

Surrounding the elevated center.... A sea of vague, round figures, dance and slowly gyrate like symmetrical waves. An eye-shaped beacon glows pale on the "forehead area" of all these figures... as they move, they are seemingly randomly drawn upward, the visual half mile to the top of the "well". (I know this place to be the waiting area of Souls)...

I then see myself in the center... I AM one of those round figures... except I am holding a huge sword... Its like 7 feet long and 1 thick... it drags on the floor. This sword glows with an icy blue.. and sounds, through the ethereal static, of all of my worldly obligations/passions... It's too heavy.. I'll never ascend.

And that's ok...

I'm not done "here" yet.

🤓

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice pot! It looks and sounds like you have a good foundation of technical skills, so looking forward to seeing what else you create!

PS - I love that you are working with unglazed clay body. Seems like everyone these days just wants bright glazes with crazy crystals. Love that deep red.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice pot! It looks and sounds like you have a good foundation of technical skills, so looking forward to seeing what else you create!

PS - I love that you are working with unglazed clay body. Seems like everyone these days just wants bright glazes with crazy crystals. Love that deep red.
I've been working on honing my "overworked" look, in secret... because I REALLY like it... the utilization of turmaline,quartz and blown glass, as finishing objects at opportune 'states of dry' (All in our discussions on your thread, actually) was a big game changer for me.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all of your generous comments. I made a mould for the feet, but it didn't work out, too many concavities, so I came up with a repeatable method to carve them instead. The idea was like a wide trouser leg covering a foot. Not too flashy, but considered. One corner at the end of a foot got bumped, so I had to turn up all of the other corners! Perhaps for the best, easily broken off perhaps. I'll do the original sometime.

20220212_200212_resized.jpg

Horselover, no emoticon can do your dream justice!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
View attachment 442946My first glazed pot came out of the kiln recently, which I'm really pleased with. Shohin, Oribe glaze. I've tested a lot of glazes, tweaking and learning, but this one was right from the get go.
View attachment 442947View attachment 442948View attachment 442949View attachment 442950View attachment 442951View attachment 442952
That is WONDERFUL!

I want to stick a tree in it.

Nicely Done!!

(Also nice job on the cut corners, that's hard to make look "proper" in my opinion.

What method of building did you use?)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(It's be cool to do Underlayers, with this glaze mixed with zinc oxide, then make a low-alumina clear to thinly apply over top, trap some TRACE amounts of Chromium and Cobalt betwixt them... make some groovy crystals.)

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That color would be a great paired with an azalea in a round pot about 7.5 to 8 inches

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 442946My first glazed pot came out of the kiln recently, which I'm really pleased with. Shohin, Oribe glaze. I've tested a lot of glazes, tweaking and learning, but this one was right from the get go.
View attachment 442947View attachment 442948View attachment 442949View attachment 442950View attachment 442951View attachment 442952
You did well, pot looks beautiful.
Oribe glazes are tough to use as they run like water.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks all! It was made with a paper template for the base and a rib made from an old plastic box.
20220620_190725.jpg

I find this keeps continuity in the curves, I was struggling to get a smooth blend when I was using shop bought ribs. It is prone to getting the shape twisted though, I have to be mindful.

Layering, yes, there's a superb Tofukuji which is an oribe or similar copper glaze with an iron rim which is sublime. I tried this and the copper ran right off the iron under layer! There's some learning to be done there.

This glaze has a little bone ash in it, I suppose to emulate what would have been wood or rice straw ash. It gives subtle variagation where thick, and in strong sunlight:
20220620_190850.jpg
20220620_190928.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks all! It was made with a paper template for the base and a rib made from an old plastic box.
View attachment 442969

I find this keeps continuity in the curves, I was struggling to get a smooth blend when I was using shop bought ribs. It is prone to getting the shape twisted though, I have to be mindful.

Layering, yes, there's a superb Tofukuji which is an oribe or similar copper glaze with an iron rim which is sublime. I tried this and the copper ran right off the iron under layer! There's some learning to be done there.

This glaze has a little bone ash in it, I suppose to emulate what would have been wood or rice straw ash. It gives subtle variagation where thick, and in strong sunlight:
View attachment 442968
View attachment 442970
I love it and want one 😁

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How much for a 8 x3 inch round just like the last one?
Thanks Kullas, I really appreciate you're interest! I'm still new to this, that's my 11th pot. When I've got a bit more experience I'll feel confident enough to sell and I'll let you know. Shipping from the UK though...!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm so slow at making pots, it takes me a long time to make enough to fill my small kiln. Perhaps because I'm experimenting with so many things. Anyhow, I thought I'd share a pic of what I'm up to, trying to fill a kiln of unglazed pots:

20220623_162648.jpg
The design is based on a bag/incurved rim, but it has an internal wall too, so no incurve to battle when repotting. They're still drying, and I'm weeks away from having a kiln full! This potter can't exist in isolation.

Bonus points if you can name the potter who inspired this design :)

Top Bottom