Chemical vs Organic.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes, plants must convert organic fertilizer into a chemical form for absorbtion. But organic fertilizers are longer lasting and release elements more slowly.

We use both at the same time at the International Bonsai Arboretum, as applied by my assistant ALAN Adair.

This has worked well for me for over 50 years. Look at my Bonsai, what do yours look like?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
plants take up fertilizer by osmosis.
There are special cell wall proteins that use cellular energy (e.g., from ATP --> ADP) to load the minerals that otherwise cannot cross the cell wall. Once loaded, water then moves into the cell by osmosis,
On the other hand, if the soil is saltier than the cellular fluid, water moves out of the cell into the soil = fertilizer burn.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, plants must convert organic fertilizer into a chemical form for absorbtion. But organic fertilizers are longer lasting and release elements more slowly.

We use both at the same time at the International Bonsai Arboretum, as applied by my assistant ALAN Adair.

This has worked well for me for over 50 years. Look at my Bonsai, what do yours look like?
Did I just hear a mic drop? :)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Walter Pall uses only inorganic/chemical ferts, AFAIK.
His trees are superb, IMHO.

I use chemical from middle of March to middle of October every ten days to two weeks. This I do for convenience. It would be better to use a smaller dose every single day or at least every couple days. In addition and in parallel I use organic twice or three times, the first by middle of May,, second end of June and third by end of August to beginning of September. This because organic only works well well when the temperatures are high enough for all the creatures, bacteria and fungi which have to work on it. Chemical in parallel because of Liebig's law. Organic fertilizer has lots of goodies but not everything. So trees often get fertilizing problems when they are fertilized well with organic only! I do this on the hope that the chemical fertilizer contains what the trees are missing in organic.

I use the same chamical fertilizer from middle of March to middle of Ocotber. It has high nitrogen content and is for regular plants and crops. I do not care about special fall feeding. The tree will take what it needs.

As organic I use something that really smells. And it has to be cheap. Usually this is chicken do which is prepared as organic feed for plants and sold for cheap at garden centers or farmer supply. I usually feed all my trees the same with a few exceptions. Recently repotted or collected trees are fed right away all the same.

This sounds like overfeeding. Well, just come and look at my trees and compare them with your's.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, I just ask simple questions...
But really you got some pretty simple and effective answers. Feed both. Two of the best in the biz are saying the same thing. What could be simpler. It makes tons of sense. Like feeding your dog more than one type of dog food for life, there may be deficiencies in nutrient content so you feed more than one thing.
I do the same thing with my fert.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
"On a thread asking about when to start fertilizing after a repot it was posted that with chemical ferts to wait 2 weeks but with organics it is safe to start immediately. Why would that be?"
I believe that the reasoning for this recommendation is there is a delay or at least a soft start, with organics and additionally they are usually mild. Organics also carry many beneficial biotic components that tend to make for a healthy living medium above and beyond just fertility. Some say that adding strong chemical fertilizer induces soft, hard to manage growth and also if there is a large amount of remanent field soil it could over fertilize these organic wads causing a cascade of negative issues--but then others practitioners say it don't matter none -but then you already know this.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm doing it all wrong!
Sometimes I don't even wait 2 hours to pit chemical fertilizer on.
It's a wonder I haven't killed every tree I have with that stuff.
There are so many things out there that should be approached as old wives tales, legends and bull shit that are forwarded as graven in stone.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Supposed to take 24 hrs for feeder hairs to regrow.
I like the wait a month to add 1/3 strength to moist soil.
And waiting a week in bright light before replacing in sunlight.

Feels more comfortable.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might want to ease up on the Red Bull a tad my friend.

Eeeew!

I hate redbull....

In fact....those bastard came to me asking about how to fly.

I have wing attachment points.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The important thing is that you do it regardless of the source. Sometimes you can get so tied up and confused with all of the opinions that you forget that your fertilization problems become significant in their absence.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's spring here and my J maples are finished being pinched and I'm getting pretty succulent growth. I still have not fed any at all. Most were repotted this year. One was not repotted and I'm still getting long internodes - too long. It has not been fed since last March.
J maples thrive on repotting. They need very little feeding. Don't treat all your trees the same!

All fertilizers are chemicals. NH4 is the same if it comes from chicken shit or ammonium nitrate.
Organic ''fertilizers'' are only that after they become ''chemicals''.
Organic fertilizers are more ''complete'' than most manufactured ferts. They contain things like sodium, nickel, silica, chloride, and all kinds of other essential (or beneficial) elements.

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I read the root can absorb in water N, P, K ..............
But the benefit from organic is the organisms and how they help.
Hmm ----------- aged compost ----------- organic :):eek::rolleyes:

Love the little pillbugs and how they burrow -------- also says inorganic
fertiliser applied in not toxic to them.

And so the conversation continues ...............................
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom