Reaction score
Just picked up a rather sweet piece of material this past weekend... that is full of Flowers!
A very, very old Singapore Holly (Malpighia coccigera).

Plans? Not actually much... just clean up some of the problem areas.
Will be treating this more like a Flowering Quince. Going with a clump/forest look obviously and
will be eventually stepping this down into a oval shallow pot.

singholly1.jpg

singholly2.jpg

singholly3.jpg

singholly4.jpg

singholly5.jpg

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I want that in my yard! :)

Never heard of this kind of holy but it's really a very cool tree.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it!

As mentioned, I think my first goal is to start looking for a pot to step it down into this summer. This is called a Holly, but actually isn't? I think the name was given due to the fact that the leaves closely resemble that of a Holly... it actually belongs to the Malpighiaceae or Barbados cherry family, so it is a Tropical.

So, summer work is really best. So, pot first... the soil it is currently in is just a regular nursery soil and I noticed this morning while watering that it is a bit compacted. I need to get it into a coarser type soil. Will also allow me at that time to see what kind of root system it has.

This tree was collected, so not sure what lies beneath until I get there... hopefully not very large roots, and that it will easily step down. Also, at that time, might consider chopping lower down some of the heavier, very straight trunks. I think by half might be a little to much? Perhaps slightly above?

This material is very, very very slow to grow and put on any descent size growth... so any choices really need to be carefully considered. So as to not set back the material to far, yet at the same time do what is needed where I will not have to chop lower at a future time.

With this said... I almost like it as is... will be challenging!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the name was given due to the fact that the leaves closely resemble that of a Holly... it actually belongs to the Malpighiaceae or Barbados cherry family, so it is a Tropical.
You had me until that dirty little eight letter word came up. ;) Pretty neat project for sure.

Reaction score
You had me until that dirty little eight letter word came up. ;) Pretty neat project for sure.
I know, Right?
Why do u think I listed it in the "flowering section"?
Some people will not be able to comment on it now! Lol!

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom