Drilling Extra Drainage Holes in Pot

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just received this awesome Thor Holvila bonsai pot in the mail, but it only has one tiny drainage hole. I don’t have pictures yet, but you can see the hole in the second to last picture here: http://thorholvila.tictail.com/product/palm-size-1708-13-xxx. It would offer barely any drainage and I couldn’t wire the tree into the pot. How and where on the pot do I drill extra holes for wiring and drainage, considering this is a small pot that is irregularly shaped? What drill bits should I use, what size drill bit, and what technque should I use to drill the holes?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd say put soil in it and are how well it drains. If need be, use slow drill, a masonry bit and water. You could ask Thor why that size as well. If its too small maybe he'd like to know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen...if it is in the bottom of that egg....it should drain easy...

A twig pinned in against the sides can hold a tree in.

Sorce

Reaction score
Do you have pics from inside the pot? I think the hole is big enough, but pics are always better.
Thor grows bonsai himself too, so he definetely understands the importance of drainage. I wouldn't worry about that much, but you can always see how quick the water gets out without a plant and then decide if you think it's safe.

There's also a lot of wiredown tips on the internet, for one hole pots as well.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would NOT drill this pot. Its shape with the tall portion will complicate the process, not to mention the small size --which would lend itself more to breaking under pressure from the drill.

Although the drain hole is small, it is pretty well located. I would also see how it drains and plan accordingly.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't drill a hole in a Thor Holvila pot either :)
I have a 2016 skull, the hole is a bit bigger and it also has got 4 extra small holes for wire. Just saying ;)

P1040700.JPG

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Use epoxy glue to attach wire inside the pot is one option.
Should I use regular epoxy glue or epoxy putty like is suggested for slab plantings? Also how do I remove the epoxy when repotting?

Top Bottom