I just saw this on my BRT - fungus, mildew? What I need to do?

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AJL, very well observed ! Yes here in the S Florida we suffer from hard water and limestone deposits. I know about the nodules in the roots but I have not seen the root condition yet since I have this tree only since Dec. 2018. That's why I bought Sumo cakes since they provide everything the tree needs beneficial mycelium included! But it takes time for cakes to break down yet. I have been thinking to disssolve one in the water and to use it when watering. I am also thinking maybe to use filtered water instead tap water.
Last night I found some black stuff on the trunk. Maybe this is the problem to everything? On the small branch its like a change of color, its not sticky, nor polvery substance, not soft to rub away, not wet, not bumpy, its WEIRD.
Now it was night when I made the pictures. Without the flashlight I could see those black stains a little bit everywhere on conjunction of the internodes on a few of the small branches. When I turn the flashlight on they seem to disappear , I could hardly see them. So during daylight you can hardly see anything.

looking at that picture and looking with naked eye was a difference from night and day and its hard to explain in words.
It looks worse in dark than in flashlight. Last night I went to dab some grey spots with ACV diluted in filtered water and when I applied it and rubbed a little with the Qtip , the Qtip got all black. So I don't think this is normal on the trunk. Wow, troubles never end .....

Inkedtrunk2_LI.jpgblack spots.jpg

black spots1.jpgsick trunk.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Older name now listed as a synonym was Pithecellobium tortum.

Nomes Populares: Tataré, jacaré, jurema, angico-branco, vinhático-de-espinho.

You are right; most people here still call it by the "old" name, Pithecellobium Tortum or Pithecollobium. Popular names are the ones above (all written in Portuguese) but among bonsai growers in Brazil we call it "Piteco" ,short name for Pithecollobium

Timber

Sapling
Reaction score

Attachments

• 57D13A26-236D-4F1C-8DA8-2950C81926CB.jpeg
    57D13A26-236D-4F1C-8DA8-2950C81926CB.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 16

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WILL FERRELL2.gif not trying to make vinaigrette....H2O2 please.

Don't know what else to tell you.....but have a couple choice words for your son. No offence. I have one as well...@WeeMac
DSC01235.JPG

He's almost six now....and I would bet even money that if I gave him a tree to move, (and I do), the last place he would place it would be on the ground. Maybe 90%...;):D:D:D:D:D:D

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
.....Can't I just change the soil without compromising the roots too much and put new soil in right now or is this a NO NO ? I have to wait for the spring? Maybe that's all he needs since we might have compromised his health due to the pot inside the soil?
Where does the water goes? Stuck on the roots? I should feel it with my finger? I am really getting confused now.

The tree is sending pretty clear signals that it's not doing well. You'll get the same answers from all of us that have experience with these. It needs to be off the ground, getting a full day's sun and watered only when the roots are starting to dry. If you do these things, you'll have a healthy tree until spring, then repot into good soil and watch it grow like crazy.

Or keep it in the ground. With the fungus. And bacteria/infection. And likely over-watering. And likely zero oxygen exchange for the roots. You'll have a dead tree in a couple months and you won't have to worry about any of this.

Please don't kill this tree. It's excellent. It's better material than a lot of folks will ever see. It deserves to be treated like a bonsai. Find a friend who's got a spot in the sun where it can grow off the ground if nothing else. Even pulling it from the pot and planting it in someone's yard somewhere would be better.

Show this thread to your son. Do the right things and enjoy this hobby. We all kill trees as we learn, but this one doesn't deserve the sacrifice.

Cheers,

MH

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If there is no destination for this tree that is off the ground in the sun, go to a big box and buy 1 cinder block and 1 12 x 12 patio stone to put on top of it. Quick and dirty.

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this morning pics
View attachment 225312 not trying to make vinaigrette....H2O2 please.

Don't know what else to tell you.....but have a couple choice words for your son. No offence. I have one as well...@WeeMac
View attachment 225314

He's almost six now....and I would bet even money that if I gave him a tree to move, (and I do), the last place he would place it would be on the ground. Maybe 90%...;):D:D:D:D:D:D
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is sending pretty clear signals that it's not doing well. You'll get the same answers from all of us that have experience with these. It needs to be off the ground, getting a full day's sun and watered only when the roots are starting to dry. If you do these things, you'll have a healthy tree until spring, then repot into good soil and watch it grow like crazy.

Or keep it in the ground. With the fungus. And bacteria/infection. And likely over-watering. And likely zero oxygen exchange for the roots. You'll have a dead tree in a couple months and you won't have to worry about any of this.

Please don't kill this tree. It's excellent. It's better material than a lot of folks will ever see. It deserves to be treated like a bonsai. Find a friend who's got a spot in the sun where it can grow off the ground if nothing else. Even pulling it from the pot and planting it in someone's yard somewhere would be better.

Show this thread to your son. Do the right things and enjoy this hobby. We all kill trees as we learn, but this one doesn't deserve the sacrifice.

Cheers,

MH

I am enjoying Bonsai a lot. I always loved bonsai , just never had enough time to dedicate. I won't let this bonsai die, trust me. The circumstances are just complicated but I promise I will make this tree healthy. I emailed Wigert's to take a look to hear his opinion as well. And hey, I bought my own BRT at Wigert's and learning with him. He is doing fine. Sitting in the backyard on his own little table , gets his full sun , rain. wind, just how trees should. He is still in nursery soil but only until spring, than he gets into a bonsai pot and the correct bonsai soil Wigert's gave me. I water him once in a while, depending on his demand. He has also a total different green then the big one. It's just weird how different they are. I did not had any problems with him yet. I will let him grow and than I can learn step by step to see how he looks best. Well, that will be a mission. But I can't wait spring to arrive. Thank you for your opinion. Greatly appreciated. ;)

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cleaned the trunk this morning with ACV and water, looks so much better now.
here before and after
cleaned trunk.jpg
are those limestone deposits from watering? Does ACV takes it off? And what kind of neem oil should I use on the trunk? Have even catched my Gecco in this picture who lives in the tree :p Can you see him?
Inkedcleaned trunk1_LI.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The stone in the picture looks speciously like limestone...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
AJL, very well observed ! Yes here in the S Florida we suffer from hard water and limestone deposits. I know about the nodules in the roots but I have not seen the root condition yet since I have this tree only since Dec. 2018. That's why I bought Sumo cakes since they provide everything the tree needs beneficial mycelium included! But it takes time for cakes to break down yet. I have been thinking to disssolve one in the water and to use it when watering. I am also thinking maybe to use filtered water instead tap water.
Last night I found some black stuff on the trunk. Maybe this is the problem to everything? On the small branch its like a change of color, its not sticky, nor polvery substance, not soft to rub away, not wet, not bumpy, its WEIRD.
Now it was night when I made the pictures. Without the flashlight I could see those black stains a little bit everywhere on conjunction of the internodes on a few of the small branches. When I turn the flashlight on they seem to disappear , I could hardly see them. So during daylight you can hardly see anything.

looking at that picture and looking with naked eye was a difference from night and day and its hard to explain in words.
It looks worse in dark than in flashlight. Last night I went to dab some grey spots with ACV diluted in filtered water and when I applied it and rubbed a little with the Qtip , the Qtip got all black. So I don't think this is normal on the trunk. Wow, troubles never end .....

View attachment 225288View attachment 225289

View attachment 225292View attachment 225293

Your photos made me go back to Adam's post. Of the same thing...and how he treats it.
image.jpg

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your photos made me go back to Adam's post. Of the same thing...and how he treats it.

Thanks, will check it out. This black stuff is on the tree since we bought it. I went to check pics out from that date and it was already there, so it came with it. At the nursery they must have only watered it and keep the branches and leaves in shape, thats kinda it.
I am still cleaning the tree little by little with ACV. Maybe its better to use peroxide. But the trunk looks nice clean with ACV, hope it does not come back. I use Braggs ACV with mother, has active enzymes.
Haven't watered for 3 days now. Still doing ok for now. I am home for the next 3 days so I have time enough to clean the whole tree, its quite some work , but every second I spent with him is precious !!

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a Cuban Anole, not a Gecko btw.

Thanks for the lesson, I don't really know the difference, only the marks and the tail are much longer. Not a family member of Gecco's?

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
[/QUOTE]
I have been thinking to disssolve one in the water and to use it when watering.

I actually have a customer that I work with that does just this. She uses the Sumo Cakes on her houseplants. She places a few cakes in a gallon jug. Shakes the jug and lets them dissolve. Then waters like she normally does.

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I actually have a customer that I work with that does just this. She uses the Sumo Cakes on her houseplants. She places a few cakes in a gallon jug. Shakes the jug and lets them dissolve. Then waters like she normally does.[/QUOTE]

And how often she repeats it, do you know? Maybe it depends also on the bonsai and size and in how much water she dissolves it also

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I actually have a customer that I work with that does just this. She uses the Sumo Cakes on her houseplants. She places a few cakes in a gallon jug. Shakes the jug and lets them dissolve. Then waters like she normally does.

And how often she repeats it, do you know? Maybe it depends also on the bonsai and size and in how much water she dissolves it also[/QUOTE]

To be honest I don't know how often. I will ask her though and find out. I am assuming once a month. For a bonsai, I would personally do 2-4 cakes per gallon of water and water it as a soil drench every 2-3 weeks.

Top Bottom