lois8

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to bonsai trees and have no experience with them whatsoever. My father just brought me home this bonsai and I'm trying to look up some information on care etc. However I have no idea what kind of tree it is, there was no tag or anything with it just the price and 'small bonsai'. I've tried to attach photos of it. I'm also a bit worried since the leaves look curled? I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what kind is it so I can research how to care for it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 34

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It’s an azalea. Please Do a couple of searches on this site about azalea care, new bonsai care, etc. the info is here you’ll just need to look a little bit for it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NOT an azalea. It is a Ehretia microphylla, or Fukien tea. Native to China's tropics. Yours looks to be under stress. Leaves are drying out and the soil looks pretty much like its got the consistency and drainage capabilities of a brick. Not unusual for a retail bonsai. I would put first things first. It needs water, quick. The soil looks extremely dry. I'd suggest submerging the entire pot in a basin of water and letting it sit for five-ten minutes so the interior of that dense root mass gets water.

I'd then get it outside into shade for the time being, although you haven't provided your geographic location. If it's below 40 F where you are, keep it inside until things warm up.

In the next few day, make sure the soil doesn't dry out (but don't overwater either--this will be a tricky plant to care for in its current state. It all goes back to the soil. It needs a repotting bad into decent freer draining bonsai soil.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My bad, I would have sworn that was an azalea. Thanks rockm

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My bad, I would have sworn that was an azalea. Thanks rockm
Along with leaf shape, when I see soil like that, with "styling" like that, and in a pot with a humidity tray like that, I think "mass market retail"

Azalea is not typically mass-marketed like Fukien Tea is.

Reactions: Rid

lois8

Seed
Reaction score
NOT an azalea. It is a Ehretia microphylla, or Fukien tea. Native to China's tropics. Yours looks to be under stress. Leaves are drying out and the soil looks pretty much like its got the consistency and drainage capabilities of a brick. Not unusual for a retail bonsai. I would put first things first. It needs water, quick. The soil looks extremely dry. I'd suggest submerging the entire pot in a basin of water and letting it sit for five-ten minutes so the interior of that dense root mass gets water.

I'd then get it outside into shade for the time being, although you haven't provided your geographic location. If it's below 40 F where you are, keep it inside until things warm up.

In the next few day, make sure the soil doesn't dry out (but don't overwater either--this will be a tricky plant to care for in its current state. It all goes back to the soil. It needs a repotting bad into decent freer draining bonsai soil.

Thank you! It' quite cold outside right now so I will keep it indoors. I will submerge it now and repot it as soon as I can.

lois8

Seed
Reaction score
Along with leaf shape, when I see soil like that, with "styling" like that, and in a pot with a humidity tray like that, I think "mass market retail"

Azalea is not typically mass-marketed like Fukien Tea is.

Do you have any idea how old it might be?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any idea how old it might be?
I'd say three years, maybe four.

Age has no real consequence for most any bonsai, FWIW. Unless that age is measured in centuries.

Your location is MUCH more important to the tree's future than age. Giving country location is VERY important to ANY advice you get here. Please fill in that information or we can't really help you much

Top Bottom