Is Bonsai Mirai Live Worth $300/year?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Just because it is a fact it does not mean it is not belittling.
Oh ok. I get it. What you want from me is false praise. I can do that if the truth hurts too much. My job just got easier. “ Nice job. Good work”. That’s it? It takes a hell of a lot of work to explain how to make it better this is so much easier. Thanks, see better already. If I remember right that quote was not yours that spawned my retort. Are you the forum do-gooder new?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I disagree what he said was belittling. If he had said “you ONLY have 17 posts”, then it could be considered belittling. He only stated a fact to try and put his point into context.
I did say “you”. I was talking to someone else as a reply which was not shown only to reinforce the opinion of Jeanluc. I can see now that people here feel the need to mind other people’s business for them. Yawn....

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I did say “you”. I was talking to someone else as a reply which was not shown only to reinforce the opinion of Jeanluc. I can see now that people here feel the need to mind other people’s business for them. Yawn....
I know what you said. Compare what I wrote and what you wrote.

Don’t confuse feeling a need and being stupid bored watching my kid learning to swim. Who knows, maybe my response had a lot less to do with you then you think?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, Al, you still don’t get it.

It’s the manner in which you say things that matter. I get called out because I don’t sugarcoat stuff. I’m too terse. And, everyone is right about that. Too often, I am too direct. Usually, however, once people realize that I’m genuinely trying to help, (or realize I’ve had a few too many glasses of wine, lol!) I’m forgiven. (Hopefully!)

And, Ryan’s videos are about an hour long. How many hours do you suppose it would take to read all the posts on this site? And then, how would someone with little experience know how to glean out the good info presented here, and discard the rubbish?

And then there’s this: the archives stay on here forever. A newbie coming here might see there’s a contributor with a lot of posts, and think the guy’s an expert. Then goes back and read all his posts. Well, the guy may have really upped his skill level from what he was doing 5 or 6 years ago. The advice he gave then might not be the same advice he would give now. How can a newbie know that?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have sent a couple people to this site only to have them come back to me and say no way- that's too much for me.
A newbie will know by the photos being presented to them that the writer knows what they are talking about. Progression threads are the best.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh ok. I get it. What you want from me is false praise. I can do that if the truth hurts too much. My job just got easier. “ Nice job. Good work”. That’s it? It takes a hell of a lot of work to explain how to make it better this is so much easier. Thanks, see better already. If I remember right that quote was not yours that spawned my retort. Are you the forum do-gooder new?

You asked me to find an example so I found an example and I'm the bad guy... er good guy I guess?

I'm simply pointing out that you have formed an entire opinion about the Mirai videos without watching a one of them.

I'll post the challenge again, watch one of the videos and post a critique.

I am not being an ass. I genuinely want to know what you think about the actual video.

Despite what you might think I actually agree with much of what you have said just not the way that you have said it.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
You asked me to find an example so I found an example and I'm the bad guy... er good guy I guess?

I'm simply pointing out that you have formed an entire opinion about the Mirai videos without watching a one of them.

I'll post the challenge again, watch one of the videos and post a critique.

I am not being an ass. I genuinely want to know what you think about the actual video.

Despite what you might think I actually agree with much of what you have said just not the way that you have said it.
What if I say politely.."mind your own business".

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I started reading this thread about 6 weeks ago. Let me start by saying the name of this site--- bonsainut is accurate . Crazy stuff posted here.

Having said that I signed up for Tier two on 7/30. Fairly new at this , read lots of post here too. Have watched about 20-30 videos. Some just parts. Wiring, pruning, some stuff on deciduous , couple shohin focused.
Then I cancelled today. What I saw was ok, learned some stuff, saw one persons perspective on a number of issues. I love drinking from a fire hose. And Im semi-retired, so I have lots of free time.
$18 / month. About what a McDonald's lunch for two cost. More than worth if. Would I stay a member and pay $300 / year ? No, the weekly stuff gets a bit redundant, and how many pines can I watch this guy prune and wire? Did I learn something useful? Absolutely. . Would I jump on in a year for another month and binge again for $20 , maybe. Is this for folks with 10 years of experience ? Maybe not. But its a resource worth pursuing if you learn well from videos and lectures.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone know if videos and live talks are closed captioned.

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think it comes down to opportunity cost (the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen). For some spending, 100$ on a nice sushi per month may give them more joy than spending 30$ on Mirai. Others might be doing bonsai for 30-40 years, love the way they do bonsai, and rather spend 300$ on a pre-bonsai every year. There is no right or wrong, its just a personal preference.
For the last few months, I have been using Mirai live 30$/ month tier subscription. I have concluded, if one is down the bonsai rabbit hole like I am and they can spare the fees then it's definitely worth it. It was the forum and Q&A sessions that changed my mind. Every week there is a forum where one can submit pictures of your tree and one of the best bonsai teachers in the world can give you advice. Also, there are weekly Q&A where I can ask questions directly to Ryan. And for those who cant afford it, there are free videos from Peter Warren and Bjorn on YouTube ( I do recommend giving them a donation to support all the hard work they do).

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A year and some change later, still very happy with my purchase and worth every penny. I’ll continue to be a subscriber.

I still believe that one on one instruction with a professional is the best learning method though.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A year and some change later, still very happy with my purchase and worth every penny. I’ll continue to be a subscriber.

I still believe that one on one instruction with a professional is the best learning method though.
Post three trees you made before Mirai, and post up three you have made with improvements since Mirai. What exactly can you attribute to Mirai that you were not getting before? Use this as a giving back to the forum by talking about each tree and what you did that you were given by Ryan. Show it in pictures like I do. Talkers are knee deep on this site, but real showers are far and few between.

I agree with a professional, but in the flesh. you can keep the video. Besides that if people like this being talked down to and Ryan constantly shaking his head and muttering "geesh" in every video like he's teaching third graders, then I have no idea why people have always given me a hard time for being honest. Ryan tries in every video to be honest, he just takes the long, boring route to get there.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m a lower tier Mirai member currently. I have gotten some good information from the videos, but those long ass videos get kind of boring to me. Usually I have to search through it to find the info I need. I was chatting with another MRI member when they break out the word “nuance” on me. I have found workshops and study groups to be much more informative and worth my money. And having Judyb on speed dial is a great resource as well!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Post three trees you made before Mirai, and post up three you have made with improvements since Mirai. What exactly can you attribute to Mirai that you were not getting before? Use this as a giving back to the forum by talking about each tree and what you did that you were given by Ryan. Show it in pictures like I do. Talkers are knee deep on this site, but real showers are far and few between.

I agree with a professional, but in the flesh. you can keep the video. Besides that if people like this being talked down to and Ryan constantly shaking his head and muttering "geesh" in every video like he's teaching third graders, then I have no idea why people have always given me a hard time for being honest. Ryan tries in every video to be honest, he just takes the long, boring route to get there.

No.

I know thats always your answer, and sometimes its appropriate - if you are being critical about another artists trees, then yeah - show us your trees.

“What I learned from Ryan” Isnt even a metric that can be measured really- in addition to being a mirai member, I also own 50+ bonsai books, study with a local professional, subscribe to multiple magazines and watch other educational videos.
All of those are going to impact my trees, I didnt build any specifically with information I only learned from Mirai.

I have watched probably 80% of their content and never once have I felt talked down to, so I think that is something you are making up to justify critiquing him.

If anything, I feel he has patience for answering the same question every week (“my juniper needles are brown does it need water?”) Im exaggerating but People that watch the q&a’s will know.

I study with a local professional (in person) but still find a ton of value in the discussion and the focus on different techniques that mirai puts out. Do I follow everything he does too the T? No way. Somethings, opposite in fact.

That has nothing to do with me finding value in being a member.

Ryan brings in different guests and discusses many different species. There are varied formats from small 10 minute videos to longer, community interaction and really high production value.

He also puts out a ton of content, on a regular schedule. I can specifically say I am more educated about Bonsai now, from horticultural Knowledge to pot selection than I was before I was a member. Is it all because of my Mirai subscription? Of course not.

Thats why, its worth 300/ year to me (I think its actually more than that now btw)

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do you know who I am?

I'm not asking to be a smart ass.....

😂😂😂

My normal answer would be “nobody”. But yes I do know OF you, because I started reading your blog a few years ago.
Met you briefly I think at a show in 2015 but not sure.

Actually really like your style of deciduous tree, and might have learned something from you as well (on accident 😉)

That being said, I dont care for your posting style, although sometimes I agree with your points. You always come off as Cranky.

And I REALLY dont care if you think my trees are worthy/ not worthy because to me bonsai isnt about winning shows- although hopefully one day I will have something worthy of making it in. If not, oh well.

I stand by my point about Mirai, which was the purpose of this thread.

Top Bottom