Is Bonsai Mirai Live Worth $300/year?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just remember that because someone has a difference of opinion or a difference in climate zones does not necessarily mean one or the other is wrong. The truth lies in the existing evidence. I have some serious differences in the way many of these nuvo masters treat their Junipers does not mean I am wrong, or force me to eat humble pie just to fit in. I'll never do that. Will I pay $300 on education? No, but there are a lot of people here that have the kind of income that wouldn't miss the $300 annual price tag. I don't fault him making a good living, if you could you would. I don't know too many people that give away what they have learned and labored over for free.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nope.
Haven't watched a single Mirai video yet.
Who thinks I'll ever watch one?
Who doesn't?
Who thinks I would rather spend the $300.00 on bonsai supplies?
Who thinks I would rather spend it on weed?
Who thinks Bigfoot is real and is the result of Indians having sexual relations with buffalo?
Will Victor wake up and say J.T. pushed him down the stairs on the Young and the Restless?

I don't think you will, and would bet dollars to donuts that the $300 worth of supplies or (hmmm- *and/or* ;D ) weed is a far superior choice!! If he's got secrets in this videos they'll leach out, though my guess is the 'secrets' are few and far between, and his videos are just (imo) unnecessarily lengthy, I've seen every one of his free videos and every one of them I can't help but thinking it should be like 50% of the final running-time he releases them at.

Will I pay $300 on education? No, but there are a lot of people here that have the kind of income that wouldn't miss the $300 annual price tag. I don't fault him making a good living, if you could you would. I don't know too many people that give away what they have learned and labored over for free.

Sure, if you're rich then you won't notice the $ gone....but him excluding those who can't afford that doesn't jive with the idea that he's just trying to spread knowledge!

"I don't fault him for making a good living, if you could you would"

Depends, in the context you're saying - no, no I would not. I've quit jobs because I felt we were ripping people off and this is a similar enough situation, I wouldn't feel ethical doing that.

"I don't know too many people that give away what they have learned and labored over for free"

Are you serious? That's the norm, most videos are free, he's the outlier in trying to charge hundreds - he must be truly special to command that premium, I just wish he'd give a teaser of this specialness in his free youtubes, because I've seen all of them and only found a handful of 'unique' ideas I hadn't heard elsewhere... Youtube is awash in bonsai videos by long-time pro's, and while I'm not saying Ryan is incompetent or anything he's also not some superstar that's pioneering this industry, so for him to put out a video series that's (to the best of my knowledge) the most expensive online bonsai videos money can buy, well, that just sounds like a cash-grab to me :/

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nope.
Haven't watched a single Mirai video yet.
Who thinks I'll ever watch one?
Who doesn't?
Who thinks I would rather spend the $300.00 on bonsai supplies?
Who thinks I would rather spend it on weed?
Who thinks Bigfoot is real and is the result of Indians having sexual relations with buffalo?
Will Victor wake up and say J.T. pushed him down the stairs on the Young and the Restless?
I think you should watch some. There are several videos for free, you can see them in his website or on their Mirai YouTube channel.

I’m sure if you watch those you will learn a thing or 2 here and there . .

If you just don’t watch them out of some principle you should put those thought aside and just be open to it.
As bonsai hobbiest I also find them entertaining to watch.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think you will, and would bet dollars to donuts that the $300 worth of supplies or (hmmm- *and/or* ;D ) weed is a far superior choice!! If he's got secrets in this videos they'll leach out, though my guess is the 'secrets' are few and far between, and his videos are just (imo) unnecessarily lengthy, I've seen every one of his free videos and every one of them I can't help but thinking it should be like 50% of the final running-time he releases them at.

Sure, if you're rich then you won't notice the $ gone....but him excluding those who can't afford that doesn't jive with the idea that he's just trying to spread knowledge!

"I don't fault him for making a good living, if you could you would"

Depends, in the context you're saying - no, no I would not. I've quit jobs because I felt we were ripping people off and this is a similar enough situation, I wouldn't feel ethical doing that.

"I don't know too many people that give away what they have learned and labored over for free"

Are you serious? That's the norm, most videos are free, he's the outlier in trying to charge hundreds - he must be truly special to command that premium, I just wish he'd give a teaser of this specialness in his free youtubes, because I've seen all of them and only found a handful of 'unique' ideas I hadn't heard elsewhere... Youtube is awash in bonsai videos by long-time pro's, and while I'm not saying Ryan is incompetent or anything he's also not some superstar that's pioneering this industry, so for him to put out a video series that's (to the best of my knowledge) the most expensive online bonsai videos money can buy, well, that just sounds like a cash-grab to me :/
I can't afford watching payed content too. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't if I could. Enjoying free so far.
I think RN worked hard and payed enough to get where he is now. He is talented, skilled and educated so why should he do some other job for living and share bonsai for free?
Recently I've been working for a trading company for the the first time in my life and...jeez, I can't believe what can be sold and for how much. You know where the demand is... So why not?

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score

You clearly have no idea how business works, no one gives away High quality content for free, I'm not just talking about the knowledge contained within, I'm talking about the production that goes into it too. Yes they were kind of sketchy in the beginning but you can see how their production value has changed. You're not just paying for Ryan to stand there and talk at you for 2 hours, you're paying for the sound guy, the community liaison, the camera guy, the assistants, the guys that edit all of the footage and the guy that maintains the website. As well as all of the other costs incurred in running a business.

Take a look at Boon's pricing for instructional videos before you slate the price of Mirai, look at Bonsai Empire also. There is far more content on Mirai so it works out a hell of a lot less per video. $300 is wasted unless you can tune in live every time. $180 seems far more reasonable just for access to the archive which make the videos even cheaper.

You say you've found a handful of unique ideas in the free videos, there are what 18 free videos, with 4 or 5 filler content with no real value so lets say 13 total? Seems like pretty good odds to me. I get that some people won't be in to the whole streaming concept, some of the old timers probably don't feel like they can learn anything worth the subscription costs, but I feel like you're just hating for the sake of hating with no real basis.

his videos are just (imo) unnecessarily lengthy, I've seen every one of his free videos and every one of them I can't help but thinking it should be like 50% of the final running-time he releases them at.

You aren't watching it just for the knowledge he shares, you should be watching it to see the transformation of the tree in front of you. The fact he brings in material and works it through whilst explaining and answering questions, I'd argue that the video's aren't long enough. Some of the trees don't get finished on stream and I personally find that frustrating.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It kind of sounds to me like a lot of sour grapes from people that would probably complain if there was nothing available by any one either. It's really sad that there are so many people in this generation that believe they are owed something. Every body talks of intellectual property but few who really know what that means. This is probably why bonsai in America is at such a low level. We think so little of it that we resent those who have achieved a higher level and seem to have found a way to make a living from it.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's what I know....

Over the last 6 years I've killed more than $300 in nursery stock. Closer to $1k.

Just the free content has me sure most of that would have been alive today had these streams been available 6 years ago.

So a year at tier one would have saved me about $400.

Here's my pricing schedule...

Tier 1...Carrot Dangled. Get Tier 2.

Tier 2...Economical and Valuable.

Tier 3...Baller Status. Get Tier 2.

Sorce
100% agree. going to sign up eventually. the free stuff has rocked my thoughts. Instead of vague phrases on how to do bonsai that are all over the internet, he actually says stuff. Like, actually tells you what to do and then WHY he is correct. pretty dope.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im sure most info he provides could be found much cheaper or free,if money was a not an option i might buy
I haven't found the info anywhere else. And I've looked hard, both online, in books, in person (to a limited extent...hard to be around professionals for countless hours on end)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I haven't found the info anywhere else. And I've looked hard, both online, in books, in person (to a limited extent...hard to be around professionals for countless hours on end)
There is an expression to the effect that things for free are seldom worth anything. I have found that advise offered on the forum at times is argued and put down and by lack of comment deemed of no value. So why bother? There seems to be of late an unspoken rule that anything offered without cost is probably worthless and anything that is offered at a price is a scam, and you wonder why people who know what they are talking about when it comes to bonsai are jumping ship.

Last edited:

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Worth every penny!
Been reading and consuming every bit of bonsai content I can find since 1989. (I have every edition of Bonsai Today for example.)
My large collection has improved leaps and bounds in less then one year of Bonsai Mirai consumption.
If this content was available when I began, I know my collection would be much more significant and impressive with much fewer losses.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is an expression to the effect that things for free are seldom worth anything. I have found that advise offered on the forum at times is argued and put down and by lack of comment deemed of no value. So why bother? There seems to be of late an unspoken rule that anything offered without cost is probably worthless and anything that is offered at a price is a scam, and you wonder why people who know what they are talking about when it comes to bonsai are jumping ship.
bnut has been great. I am not sure what your post is supposed to mean. as a side note, there is value in listening to a professional instead of people whose name you don't know. That being said, some of the best bonsai stuff has been on this site. some of you guys are really outstanding in your progressions! can't thank everyone enough!

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been practicing bonsai for over 25 years, have a library of books, belonged to bonsai societies and clubs, gone to numerous conventions and attended hands-on workshops, and I can say without reservation that the info he provides cannot be found elsewhere... at any price. The only thing that would be better is if you had a personal apprenticeship with a bonsai teacher who had studied for 6 years in Japan and who is a full-time bonsai instructor - and who you worked with every week.

The only negative comments I am hearing are from people who haven't watched the streams. Note that you don't hear a single person who is a subscriber saying it wasn't worth the money or they aren't planning on re-subscribing.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't interested don't watch. There are people who don't do workshops or go to bonsai conventions either.

AMEN!!

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is there a quality improvement between the paid Mirai content and the free stuff that's on YouTube?

Because the free videos that I have tried to watch have been pretty bad, imo. Ryan is skilled, but rambly and distracted. The communication between him and the camera crew is unpolished, so transitions between wide and detail views seem to happen 20 seconds after Ryan does something I want to see. And the questions from the stream never seem to get properly answered.

So, it seems like you'd get your money's worth in as far as sheer hours of content
But I feel like the time spent watching would be a waste.

Example :

I strongly disagree with all your points. I’ve watched every bit of video content he has put out so far.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some of the earlier streams were unpolished and not the best camera work. All of the stuff from the last year is very professional. Only problem I see is they need to find a better solution with the white board on Q&A’s. Or be better prepared, Ryan has quite a bit of technical difficulties with that white board.

I switched from tier two to tier three about three months ago and it’s well worth it just to get the Q&A’s! I rarely watch anything live except when I’m on vacation when I don’t have to get up for work the next day.

Ryan is leaps and bounds ahead of any other videos out there! He explains everything he does and tells you why and when. I watched all the free stuff out there before I joined Mirai. Bonsai Iligan had great trees if you like all tropical and good entertainment with burps, farts and constant rooster crowing. Graham Potter had good stuff with carving and he did explain a lot but they could never figure out the audio. Ma-Ke is good but I guess YouTube won’t give him more than 5 minutes per video. There are others that are just ok. I still watch Sam Doecke “Aussie Bonsai Bloke”, it’s more unpolished, iPhone camera, kids screaming, dogs running around but it’s good entertainment and he’s a lot like me. (Got a lot of different trees and got to watch out for a pile of dog shit in the garden)

I pay for Mirai by the month, it comes out to about a $1 a day and it’s well worth every penny!!! I’m thinking of telling the wife I want a year subscription for my birthday.

Bottom line is Ryan will teach you more in a couple of months than all of the others will teach you in a year!

Only problem I have is, I wish I could cast the streams to my smart tv the way I do YouTube!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some of the earlier streams were unpolished and not the best camera work. All of the stuff from the last year is very professional. Only problem I see is they need to find a better solution with the white board on Q&A’s. Or be better prepared, Ryan has quite a bit of technical difficulties with that white board.

I switched from tier two to tier three about three months ago and it’s well worth it just to get the Q&A’s! I rarely watch anything live except when I’m on vacation when I don’t have to get up for work the next day.

Ryan is leaps and bounds ahead of any other videos out there! He explains everything he does and tells you why and when. I watched all the free stuff out there before I joined Mirai. Bonsai Iligan had great trees if you like all tropical and good entertainment with burps, farts and constant rooster crowing. Graham Potter had good stuff with carving and he did explain a lot but they could never figure out the audio. Ma-Ke is good but I guess YouTube won’t give him more than 5 minutes per video. There are others that are just ok. I still watch Sam Doecke “Aussie Bonsai Bloke”, it’s more unpolished, iPhone camera, kids screaming, dogs running around but it’s good entertainment and he’s a lot like me. (Got a lot of different trees and got to watch out for a pile of dog shit in the garden)

I pay for Mirai by the month, it comes out to about a $1 a day and it’s well worth every penny!!! I’m thinking of telling the wife I want a year subscription for my birthday.

Bottom line is Ryan will teach you more in a couple of months than all of the others will teach you in a year!

Only problem I have is, I wish I could cast the streams to my smart tv the way I do YouTube!
Have you tried chromecast? They're pretty cheap and allow you to copy your browser screen to your TV over wifi. A second hand one will cost you around 5 bucks.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That almost sounds reasonable! But the reality is that loving bonsai, and wanting to make $$ off people, aren't mutually-exclusive things - if he really wants to advance USA bonsai then he should make them free (he is a master so he should be making a killing on things like workshop/demo/appearance fees, the sale of trees he's worked on, etc etc etc), to put a multi-hundred-$ paywall on some bonsai videos is a money-grab not some altruistic "advancement of US bonsai" 8)

Are they worth it? I dunno because I haven't even come close to watching the virtually unlimited free videos on youtube, but the videos of his I've seen are good but not great - I've also got a lot of issue with someone who will say things with confidence when unsure, and this could be my mid-remembering but I believe it was @BillsBayou who made a thread here about the errors in his BC/bald cypress video...

But this is his way of selling you on his knowledge, not an altruistic gesture for US bonsai as you describe it :/ And his knowledge seems solid, just like tons of others out there who don't charge for simple things like videos, so it's real hard to justify - that said, there's a bougainvillea video that I think I'll be paying 1 month of tier-2 to get, will be my yardstick for him and these videos, maybe I'll learn something I didn't already know - or maybe I'll be pissed that I spent $ to hear what multiple other vloggers put out there for free, for the passion of the hobby..
While Ryan was actually working on a pond cypress (T. ascendens), his information was up to par on the current theories on bald cypress function and design.

The real problem is two of the most common theories on bald cypress function are wrong. Knees are not gas exchangers (they're starch storage). Roots aren't swollen with water (they're swollen with air pathways). Given that Ryan's studio is 1700 miles from the closest natural habitat for bald cypress, I'm cutting him a lot of slack.

One thing that Ryan said that I'd like to try is that bald cypress do well in 100% Akadama. Here in the South, we shy away from Akadama because it breaks down very quickly and becomes a waterlogged muck. But these are bald cypress we're dealing with, so waterlogged muck may not be a bad thing. Further, the CEC of Akadama is pretty good for holding fertilizer. Haydite and lava rock have very low CEC values. I'd like to get a couple of bags of Akadama just to try it on bald cypress and compare it to my 30/70 haydite/pine bark mix. I'm getting two pallets of lava rock delivered today. I'll have to save up for the Akadama experiment.

Thus: Ryan has me wanting to try a 100% Akadama experiment on my bald cypress. I think it has merit.

Still worth the price to belong to Mirai Tier 3.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It kind of sounds to me like a lot of sour grapes from people that would probably complain if there was nothing available by any one either. It's really sad that there are so many people in this generation that believe they are owed something. Every body talks of intellectual property but few who really know what that means. This is probably why bonsai in America is at such a low level. We think so little of it that we resent those who have achieved a higher level and seem to have found a way to make a living from it.

(1) The title of this thread should be changed to "Is Bonsai Mirai worth $300 per year TO ME?"
(2) No one should comment if they haven't tried the paid service for at least one month. Otherwise it's a little like asking people their opinion of a car that they have never driven, or what it's like to visit a country they have never visited :)

Don't get me wrong, I clearly understand that $300 means different things to different people. There are plenty of people on this site who practice bonsai with collected trees, homemade soil, and homemade containers, and who probably spend less than $300 per year on the entire hobby. To other people $300 might be a single pot. You can appreciate how the value equation of a streaming bonsai education program would be different to each.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
While Ryan was actually working on a pond cypress (T. ascendens), his information was up to par on the current theories on bald cypress function and design.

The real problem is two of the most common theories on bald cypress function are wrong. Knees are not gas exchangers (they're starch storage). Roots aren't swollen with water (they're swollen with air pathways). Given that Ryan's studio is 1700 miles from the closest natural habitat for bald cypress, I'm cutting him a lot of slack.

One thing that Ryan said that I'd like to try is that bald cypress do well in 100% Akadama. Here in the South, we shy away from Akadama because it breaks down very quickly and becomes a waterlogged muck. But these are bald cypress we're dealing with, so waterlogged muck may not be a bad thing. Further, the CEC of Akadama is pretty good for holding fertilizer. Haydite and lava rock have very low CEC values. I'd like to get a couple of bags of Akadama just to try it on bald cypress and compare it to my 30/70 haydite/pine bark mix. I'm getting two pallets of lava rock delivered today. I'll have to save up for the Akadama experiment.

Thus: Ryan has me wanting to try a 100% Akadama experiment on my bald cypress. I think it has merit.

Still worth the price to belong to Mirai Tier 3.
You guys do realize that BC used to be native to climates like Michigan and all the way down the Ohio River Valley? It was the last ice age that killed off that species up here in Michigan. However they do well in landscapes here in Michigan. They do not necessarily have to grow in the tropics to prosper. They are in fact a tree similar to the Larch that can grow anywhere except under competition. Therefore both trees tend to find environments where there is little natural competition.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
(1) The title of this thread should be changed to "Is Bonsai Mirai worth $300 per year TO ME?"
(2) No one should comment if they haven't tried the paid service for at least one month. Otherwise it's a little like asking people their opinion of a car that they have never driven, or what it's like to visit a country they have never visited :)

Don't get me wrong, I clearly understand that $300 means different things to different people. There are plenty of people on this site who practice bonsai with collected trees, homemade soil, and homemade containers, and who probably spend less than $300 per year on the entire hobby. To other people $300 might be a single pot. You can appreciate how the value equation of a streaming bonsai education program would be different to each.

You wrote:
This seems to be the way of things lately. People condemning things they don't practice or understand. Seriously, we are in-danger of discouraging the development of the next generation of bonsai artists. Funny thing; every body has the fantasy/dream of being a professional bonsai proprietor of a bonsai business/ traveling bonsai master but will declare that hell has come to abide in our presence when someone else does it.

Top Bottom