Kifu Trident

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the kudo's on this brilliant idea:rolleyes:

Also.....keep in mind the push pin is not thru the scion, but next to it with only the lip of the pin doing the holding.

The graft with two pins is a larger branch so I used one on top and one on bottom so it wouldn't squirt out!!!!!

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Smoke,

So it's been a little over 6 months since the last image was posted with the grafts, can you show us how is this Trident doing now? ;)

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Smoke, you are my trident hero! I love seeing these progression threads. Hopefully I can keep the tridents I've started (very young) happy in my area so one day I can have some nice material to work with.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the push pins,i use surveyors tape,just might give this method a try,good thinking Smoke/

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did some pruning on this one. Not to good of pic shows one of the grafts. New canopy is more fitting for the trunk and much more compact. This tree is rather powerful being only 10 inches tall with a 3 inch trunk and a 5 inch root spread.

Attachments

• DSC_00020001.JPG
    DSC_00020001.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_00030002.JPG
    DSC_00030002.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This really makes me wish I started becoming interested on bonsai a decade ago so I could have trees that look half as good as this. Very nice progress, as always (how can I avoid sounding like a brown-noser here? ;-p).

This will look awesome when it fills out. I completely agree -- it's got a really strong look to it.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Alex that time goes in a flash, start some now or in a few years you be at the same point, wishing you did. Makes our hobby cheaper in the long run.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can imagine. Semi-complicated economic calculations aside, I'd much rather pay $5 for a seedling and make it into a nice show tree instead of paying a couple thousand for something that's finished.

I just have to buy a house (renting currently) so I can plant some trees in the ground! :D That's not to say it's impossible in pots, of course...but you see what I'm getting at.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
root maker bags, a little digging around the outside, and cart it off to the new abode:cool: I know not always a viable choice but if you can put one in a bag and burry it you will get good roots and growth.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was into root maker bags before they got cool. haha -- just kidding. Yeah, I invested in a ton of them last year and almost everything I have is in either those or in pond baskets. I haven't buried any of them in the ground, but that's not a bad idea. I have a nice little spot where I can do this. Hmmm. . . .

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
root maker bags, a little digging around the outside, and cart it off to the new abode:cool: I know not always a viable choice but if you can put one in a bag and burry it you will get good roots and growth.

Thanks for the idea, I need to get this going as well.

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,

Great thread! How did the roots turn out? Did the window with cut paste work or did it callous over?

Chris

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Callus* Hahaha! :D

Yes, I'm curious too. Part of me wonders if you're dug to see results...but the other part of my assumes that you're leaving it alone to avoid damaging the current growth. Another part of me is wondering how long you wait before checking to see what root development has taken place. And another part of me wants to set things on fire for no apparent reason. We worry about that one.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Callus* Hahaha! :D

Yes, I'm curious too. Part of me wonders if you're dug to see results...but the other part of my assumes that you're leaving it alone to avoid damaging the current growth. Another part of me is wondering how long you wait before checking to see what root development has taken place. And another part of me wants to set things on fire for no apparent reason. We worry about that one.

Another part of me makes me wonder about people from Michigan.....

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They're an odd bunch, those Michiganders....though, despite all the meth labs, it's surprising peaceful. . . . ;-p

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK just for you Alex, I went out and took a look. I have not checked since potting it. With over 75 tridents to look after, I lose track of things.

It grew about three roots in that area. It also sprouted a new branch above the area due to increased new nutrient travel. One can just make out the top edge of the cut. It looks as if it has completely callused over

This is important, removing branches low on a trunk without sufficient branches nearby or above will cause roots to recede from that area of the nebari, or die off completely.

This small branch budding from that area just shows that new nutrient flow in that area will stimulate new branches. There were no branches on this side of the tree.

Just something to keep in mind.

Attachments

• DSCF00010001.JPG
    DSCF00010001.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF00020002.JPG
    DSCF00020002.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF00030003.JPG
    DSCF00030003.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

treekutter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only 75 what do you do with all of your spare time

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have appeased us! :) Thank you for taking the pictures, and more importantly thank you for the advice on cutting (well, not cutting) branches above the nebari. I did not know this and this seems to be an extremely important piece of information that I must've overlooked somewhere. This is an awesome example of it, too, as you can see an immediate result of the root that was produced.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only 75 what do you do with all of your spare time

Count maples!

Close to 40 on this table.

The marble planter has 17 in it. More on the benches.

Attachments

• DSC_000100012.JPG
    DSC_000100012.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_000500051.JPG
    DSC_000500051.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 134

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have um in pots on the ground, onthe ground near the house and in pots on the patio. I have tridents everywhere....

Except the GROUND!

I actualy counted. I fudged a bit. I only had 67. I was just guessing anyway. I was pretty close though.

Attachments

• DSC_00070007.JPG
    DSC_00070007.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_000200022.JPG
    DSC_000200022.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_000300032.JPG
    DSC_000300032.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_000400041.JPG
    DSC_000400041.JPG