Kifu Trident

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently said....Stop posting stupid things on the internet and get in the backyard and start working your trees. No one wants to read about dying trees fungus infested trees, trees losing leaves, trees left inside too log or die hards trying to grow outdoor trees inside. I don't care how much money you invest in lighting and crap there is no substitute for OUTSIDE.

Now there are those that will tell you they do bonsai for relaxation, and the bonding they get from being with ones self and the outdoors.

phooey, If your doing bonsai correctly, its not relaxing at all, your not bonding with outdoors with rivers of sweat running down your forehead, your not having fun cleaning needles re wiring 50 trees, or cutting wire off 50 trees or repotting 50 trees after sifting 5 wheelbarrows of soil. Mixing fertilizer and finding a way to keep it there before the critters steal it. And... spending huge amounts of money doing it!

Doing great bonsai, bonsai on a high level is W O R K

WORK is a relative term.

Ones person's work is another's passion

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't get me wrong...I'd rather be in the backyard with bonsai work than at "Work".

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't get me wrong either. It was all for the 10% sheer joy I found in it. My profession was all-consuming.

Now I work at bonsai.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
don't get me wrong...I'd rather be in the backyard with bonsai work than at "Work".
That seemed obvious but I wanted the distinction made
note to self:

this is how to kill a thread.
It died without even a wimper

Learn something new every day.
we can keep it alive!!...
Soo...... um... what is your profession?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tomorrow I'm off with the dog to the coast to pay George Muranaka a visit. I called him twice today with no answer. He finally called me back ten minutes ago and is eager for my visit. I'm eager to see what he has for bonsai!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are all hardy except the variegated varieties.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The variegated are also hardy as far as trees go just super slow

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im off tomorrow to go do some fishing. Only going to be one good weather day this weekend for it.

Have fun on your visit to George.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are they a good choice to do experiments with? As in they will take abuse and likely pull through? Chops, various grafts, possibly some less than excellent horticulture decisions?
I was thinking a side project to learn with try out different things on. A few tridents sounds like it might be the right choice.

What do you think?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are they a good choice to do experiments with? As in they will take abuse and likely pull through? Chops, various grafts, possibly some less than excellent horticulture decisions?
I was thinking a side project to learn with try out different things on. A few tridents sounds like it might be the right choice.

What do you think?
I feel it is one of the best cultivars for bonsai period. The leaves lack the gracefulness of a palmatum maple, but the trunks will fatten faster and the tree will heal faster and the tree can take all sorts of abuse like layers and root work very fast. Scar tissue flows like lava and is very good and concealing scars but be careful of removing branches on places you wish to heal. The tend to dry up when branches are removed below that area and they will dry up all the way to the roots. The area will remain alive just dried up for future use.

I have a couple that I will be posting in a few months that will be very nice to show here. I will be removing the tops out of two giant tridents at the same time. They will be removed from 3 foot tall trees with five inch bases. I will remove a small tree from each and then rebuild a new tree from whats left. It will be a year long project just to get the tree off and then who knows how long to develop a new tree from the stumps. I got nothing but time now and no one to answer to....I will be looking though......

Top Bottom