Kifu Trident

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree here with Dan. In this case it doesn't bother me either particularly with tridents where their uneven and muscular trunks is what gives them their character. Incidentally, in a Japanese publication, there was an article about inflicting some small wounds in areas where you wanted the trunk to thicken via making fine, vertical striations on the bark.

I as well as many here have probably heard of this method. I have really never seen any good pictures of a before and after if it is worth scarring up the trunk or not.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I as well as many here have probably heard of this method. I have really never seen any good pictures of a before and after if it is worth scarring up the trunk or not.

I tried this once on a trident with reverse taper. The resulting scars were very obvious and distracting and did very little to correct the tree. I gave it three years and got rid of it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Have not tried this myself yet but looking for an opportunity to do so. I have however, tried to thicken the main tree in a Japanese maple forest by making a large cut at the base on the back of it. As a result, the base flared to an acceptable thickness. Below is such tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree here with Dan. In this case it doesn't bother me either particularly with tridents where their uneven and muscular trunks is what gives them their character. Incidentally, in a Japanese publication, there was an article about inflicting some small wounds in areas where you wanted the trunk to thicken via making fine, vertical striations on the bark.
Interesting range of opinions here. I agree about uneven/muscular trunks trees adding character to trees (in some cases). The problem I have with this one is that it's a short tree and the "feature" stands out too much. If the trunk was taller and had other bulges then I don't think it would be an issue. If the style was different and "explained" the bulge (i.e. perhaps a branch or two came from that area) it might work better. Right now it looks like a tree that was chopped...but I do realize that the structure doesn't really allow anything to be done with that area.

Well, that's how I see it...to each his own! I suspect it will look fine in leaf, but I don't think I'll be a fan of the winter image. I may change my opinion as the tree develops.

Chris

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting range of opinions here. I agree about uneven/muscular trunks trees adding character to trees (in some cases). The problem I have with this one is that it's a short tree and the "feature" stands out too much. If the trunk was taller and had other bulges then I don't think it would be an issue. If the style was different and "explained" the bulge (i.e. perhaps a branch or two came from that area) it might work better. Right now it looks like a tree that was chopped...but I do realize that the structure doesn't really allow anything to be done with that area.

Well, that's how I see it...to each his own! I suspect it will look fine in leaf, but I don't think I'll be a fan of the winter image. I may change my opinion as the tree develops.

Chris

Completely understandable Chris. My sense is that as this tree settles into its own design it will all fall into place. If this was Japanese maple I may have a very different view.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Chris

I agree with Chris.

This is what I saw (as an option) from the OP.
View attachment 43513

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the bole of the tree will get thicker and mask the slight bulge above,especially if there is no branches at the bulge.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 degrees each way from the above photo.

Attachments

• DSC_00510001.JPG
    DSC_00510001.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_00520002.JPG
    DSC_00520002.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 118

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Correcting the reverse taper would mean growing a (very large) sacrifice branch below the bulge. This would mean Al's 3 years of refinement / branch development / energy balancing would go up in 'Smoke' not to mention a big scar to boot :(

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how many of you wish smoke was your neighbor?
gosh id love to hang with him and his trees.
freakin amazing.
when your neighbor decides to sell pm me!
painter

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correcting the reverse taper would mean growing a (very large) sacrifice branch below the bulge. This would mean Al's 3 years of refinement / branch development / energy balancing would go up in 'Smoke' not to mention a big scar to boot :(

Yea I got enough scars to contend with.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Three years before and after.
https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/002-jpg.43452/
https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/dsc_00400001-jpg.43453/

So I realize that all the research I have been doing trying to learn about bonsai and horticulture in general is not a substitute for any actual experience which I do not have yet. (Bought some cuttings from milehigh_7 last month!!) And I wouldn't consider myself a cocky person or even that confident sometimes. But I thought I was learning quite a lot to be honest.
But this tree... this tree... the way it transformed because of your vision and skill...
I feel like I am starting over with everything I learned. This just reiterates that the more I learn the more I need to learn, if that makes sense.

I really desire this "eye" that you have for material

Please keep showing me what kind of transformations are possible.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is also looks a lot smaller in the first picture...
Either that or you have some very big terra cotta pots ...lol
Yes that one is just under 8 inches tall

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/002-jpg.43452/
https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/dsc_00400001-jpg.43453/

So I realize that all the research I have been doing trying to learn about bonsai and horticulture in general is not a substitute for any actual experience which I do not have yet. (Bought some cuttings from milehigh_7 last month!!) And I wouldn't consider myself a cocky person or even that confident sometimes. But I thought I was learning quite a lot to be honest.
But this tree... this tree... the way it transformed because of your vision and skill...
I feel like I am starting over with everything I learned. This just reiterates that the more I learn the more I need to learn, if that makes sense.

I really desire this "eye" that you have for material

Please keep showing me what kind of transformations are possible.

I recently said....Stop posting stupid things on the internet and get in the backyard and start working your trees. No one wants to read about dying trees fungus infested trees, trees losing leaves, trees left inside too log or die hards trying to grow outdoor trees inside. I don't care how much money you invest in lighting and crap there is no substitute for OUTSIDE.

Now there are those that will tell you they do bonsai for relaxation, and the bonding they get from being with ones self and the outdoors.

phooey, If your doing bonsai correctly, its not relaxing at all, your not bonding with outdoors with rivers of sweat running down your forehead, your not having fun cleaning needles re wiring 50 trees, or cutting wire off 50 trees or repotting 50 trees after sifting 5 wheelbarrows of soil. Mixing fertilizer and finding a way to keep it there before the critters steal it. And... spending huge amounts of money doing it!

Doing great bonsai, bonsai on a high level is W O R K

Top Bottom