US National Bonsai Exhibition, Sept 8-9, 2018

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've never been to a large show before, but am planning on going to this one. Very much looking forward to it! Regarding the vendor area, do most of the sales folks (generally) take credit cards? I'd rather not travel with large sums of cash. :)
Yep, though you may pay a small percentage on top to cover CC fees.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This will be my first National and I'm saving my $$$ to buy some nice trees to start my collection. Is it OK to negotiate the price on trees? Or is that considered rude?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be my first National and I'm saving my $$$ to buy some nice trees to start my collection. Is it OK to negotiate the price on trees? Or is that considered rude?
I don't consider it rude (as long as you're not low-balling), ultimately the price always has to be satisfactory to both the buyer and the seller. Don't expect much if any movement early in the show, you'd have a better chance on Sunday afternoon.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't consider it rude (as long as you're not low-balling), ultimately the price always has to be satisfactory to both the buyer and the seller. Don't expect much if any movement early in the show, you'd have a better chance on Sunday afternoon.
I guess it's a gamble to see if a nice tree you're interested in buying will still be left at the end of the show where you could save some money.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess it's a gamble to see if a nice tree you're interested in buying will still be left at the end of the show where you could save some money.
The very best stuff goes quickly! And there will be good stuff!

I bought one tree before the show from a west coast vendor, and he brought it to the show along with his other trees to sell. He had my tree sitting on his vendor’s table. He told me that he had several people begging him to cancel the sale to me, and they would pay more, lots more, than I paid for it!

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The very best stuff goes quickly! And there will be good stuff!

I bought one tree before the show from a west coast vendor, and he brought it to the show along with his other trees to sell. He had my tree sitting on his vendor’s table. He told me that he had several people begging him to cancel the sale to me, and they would pay more, lots more, than I paid for it!
Do vendors headed to the show generally show what they're going to have available ahead of time?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do vendors headed to the show generally show what they're going to have available ahead of time?
Some do. The vendor I bought from is a personal friend, so I got an advance look. Thinking back, I remember he had posted the trees on his blog. So, when I saw the blog post, that’s when I contacted him directly. And he send me more pictures and prices. His blog did not show prices.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hoping to come home with something nice from this one

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm planning on coming up a couple of days early. Will be my first time in NY. Planning on driving to see the falls...any other interesting things nearby to check out?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm planning on coming up a couple of days early. Will be my first time in NY. Planning on driving to see the falls...any other interesting things nearby to check out?
Bill Valavanis’s garden, the home of International Bonsai. I did not make it there last time, but I will go there for sure this time.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Already bought my first 2 trees from Julian Adams. Picking them up at the show on Friday when Julian gets there to set up :cool:

Reactions: GGB

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

You also have Hollow Creek Bonsai. Have never been there myself so cannot speak for it in terms of quality of material offered. If you have the time it may be worthwhile to check it out.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kinds of things do you like to do?

Letchworth State Park, about an hour south of Rochester, is beautiful. They call it the Grand Canyon of the East and though that's a bit of an overstatement, still worth visiting. Chimney Bluffs, about an hour and a half east, is an interesting coastal dune/bluff formation. In the city itself, there's High Falls which is a roughly 100' waterfall on the Geneseo River, basically just outside downtown. Kind of an unusual place for such a large waterfall. Then there's places like the Eastman museum, Susan B Anthony house, Mt Hope cemetery, etc. Further south are the waterfalls/gorges around Ithaca, Corning glass works, etc.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You also have Hollow Creek Bonsai. Have never been there myself so cannot speak for it in terms of quality of material offered. If you have the time it may be worthwhile to check it out.
Fred at Hollow Creek has a LOT of trees. I haven't been there in a few years so I don't really know what the prices are like. He also has a lot of pots and various other supplies.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm planning a visit to Oriental Garden Supply in Pittsford.
CW

Reactions: GGB
Top Bottom