BRT_Nuts - Important info about Brazilian Raintree Cultivars

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
THORNLESS BRT

This one is rare and looks very much like another species from the same region of Brazilian Atlantic coastal forests, the Brazilian Leopard Tree (Caesalpinia leiostachya, old Caesalpinia ferrea var. leiostachya) or Ironwood (Pau-ferro).

The main difference is that this thornless BRT flowers profusely even as bonsai, and its flowers are big white pom-poms, as opposite to the Leopard Tree that never flowers as bonsai, and even in nature its bright yellow flowers are minuscule.
So, to make things clear:
Yes, there is a thornless BRT cultivar, it is better to get them as a cuttings or airlayers, because from seeds 90% turn back to the thorns variety, and:
It flowers a lot in the Spring, the leaves are bigger than the regular BRT with thorns, there is much less zigzag pattern on the branches, it is better for bonsai, it is rare.

From a Brazilian Forest Dept. info:
“Among the thornless varieties found, we highlight a more erect one with larger and darker leaflets, which lends itself well for use in urban afforestation. Another variety without thorns has semi-prostrate growth, and it is very suitable for use as bonsai. “

So, what have I done?
I BOUGHT ONE, OF COURSE!

Well, in fact it is a stick full of wounds right now, but in bloom (pictures from today), has some deadwood so I can play around with my tools, and I am sure it’s going to be beautiful one of these days.
So @leatherback , now I am quite sure you do have a rare thornless BRT with you in Germany. Lucky fellow!

Gray bark
Flowers, no thorns, no zig-zag.
Did you notice the thornless variety grows slower than a regular variety? I bought a thornless one and it lost all leaves during shipping. Now it’s been over two months and the tree is still mostly bald. Only 20% of the buds expanded to leaves. The seller said it is normal and thornless BRT grows slower naturally.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Did you notice the thornless variety grows slower than a regular variety?
Exactly.
While the regular BRT is a very strong grower, the thornless cultivar is way slower.
Could be a problem in a very short growing season like the ones in colder climates; I will compare the one @leatherback has in Germany with the one I am growing in the tropics, where it grows non stop regardless of the season, including winter.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
You folks see the owners BRT on We Are Bonsai Supply YT channel, very epic.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wow I really like the corkbark. Haven’t seen ANY BRT of any kind in any garden center/online nursery over here 😒

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, besides the one already shown by @Anthony , the BRT I most like is this one by Nacho Marin - @tropical.heritage.
A really wonderful rain tree.

It is funny; since I relocated from one side of the country to the other, I have changed my appreciation of bonsai :)

(1) Awesome tree!
(2) Let's hope he never has to move anywhere!

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
For BRT seeds germination: (@Carol 83 , keep this info with you!)

1-) Drop the seeds in a glass of warm water ( ~70ºf) for 24 hours, let the water cool down to ambient temperature naturally.
2-) ALTERNATIVELY scarify the seeds by lightly sanding them with a nail file.
3-) Sow the seeds by the last week of the winter under ½ inch of light soil: 50% vermiculite/50% garden soil, OR 50%garden soil/50%coarse river sand.
4-) After they sprout (takes from 10 days to a month), wait till the seedlings show up signs of vigour and repot them.
WARNING: BRTs hate acidic soil. So no peat, no Kanuma, and no pine bark in the mix.
Good luck!

20200921_214959-2.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For BRT seeds germination: (@Carol 83 , keep this info with you!)

1-) Drop the seeds in a glass of warm water ( ~70ºf) for 24 hours, let the water cool down to ambient temperature naturally.
2-) ALTERNATIVELY scarify the seeds by lightly sanding them with a nail file.
3-) Sow the seeds by the last week of the winter under ½ inch of light soil: 50% vermiculite/50% garden soil, OR 50%garden soil/50%coarse river sand.
4-) After they sprout (takes from 10 days to a month), wait till the seedlings show up signs of vigour and repot them.
WARNING: BRTs hate acidic soil. So no peat, no Kanuma, and no pine bark in the mix.
Good luck!

View attachment 332095

I won't tell my BRT's they shouldn't have peat or bark in their soil....they might stop growing? ;) 😁😁😁

Top Bottom