JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love it. Can't take my eyes off the pot... it's stunning, and a great pairing. I love the little arch on the pot.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just went through this whole thread, and have this to say Bravo...Bravo...BRAAA....VVOoo!!!

I went searching cause I just picked up a TM last week, I am nervous its a little big to start, but its all about the roots at this point. Well...its always about the roots. Ha
Its about 2 sticks thick(chopsticks). The progression, pictures, the subtle characteristics of the roots add a whole new dimension, specifically how you had the 3 small wedges early on keeping the top, back( I believe?) roots separated, and now its another feature. Although, it looks as though mother nature had intended, but to have the foresight, there is only one way to know how to do that....Experience! Yes, you can read about this type of stuff, but to put those slight changes here and there, and when to do them for what outcome, on what tree, still takes experience. So I say Bravo!

So can I pick your brain quickly? The slight space, top of rock, under the tree, I am guessing you have to change that as it contours with growth? Spagnum? no, just some soil, perhaps dried muck? But if the space were to grow, do we have to let the tree go where it goes, short of cutting the roots, yikes, what else could one do? Sorry for the barrage of questions and/or my spastic brain running a wild. Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to learn from this!

O.k. 1 more point, The pots, not sure if its the shaping or the glaze I love more, and I'm not a glaze type! leave that alone:) But again, Experience!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First time to read this thread!
So very well done, Sir @Brian Van Fleet
Success!
Thank you for the detailed instructions.

This photo is attached to post #20 on 1st page and those three dowels are put on purpose of course, which is to keep the roots separated.
image-jpg.67892

Obviously, you would like to keep this void but after removal of dowels it is already significantly reduced as we can see in the update photos p.#104 & p.#106
Are you planning any intervention at the site, if I may ask.
Thank you.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m “grafting” some shoots in to fill gaps between the roots and the rock. Hopefully I’ll be able to cut them loose in 2018.
Oooohhh.... I missed this line. Read it after @cmeg1 quoted....
That's completely the opposite to my assumption...
So, what are those dowels for?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The tree has a few spots where the roots aren’t “attached” as tightly to the rock as I would like, so I have tucked some shoots into the spaces to grow and fill in the space. I won’t let them bud. Toward the top, it is packed with some sphagnum moss to encourage swelling in the area to better seat it on the rock. This spring I took it apart and carved away the underside to get callus tissue to help there too. It still has a couple years to go.

The chopsticks were to hold that void open. They only delayed the inevitable, but they did help define two seaparate roots instead of one solid mass.

Fall color in a couple months, here is a recent shot.
91477978-CB81-4715-868E-FB2986EF3F22.jpeg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for the update photo and for answering my question @Brian Van Fleet
The color of the pot goes so very well with that of the stone!

Top Bottom