What is the cost of a "World Class Bonsai"?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This silly discussion only proves again how many people are in bonsai who have no clue about the art world.
In my case, I guess I'd have to say "blissfully clueless", Walter. The more I see and hear of it, the more I'm delighted to keep my distance and innocence. I hope your comment is not meant to imply that we clueless ones should NOT be in bonsai", (whatever being "in bonsai" means). Is knowledge of "the art world" a prerequisite for having a tree in pot? Should we turn in our tools and give our trees to our betters if we just don't give a rat's behind about "the art world"? Will our subscriptions to Bonsai Today be cancelled if the truth becomes known? Will we be banned from buying akadama? :eek:

grouper52

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my case, I guess I'd have to say "blissfully clueless", Walter. The more I see and hear of it, the more I'm delighted to keep my distance and innocence. I hope your comment is not meant to imply that we clueless ones should NOT be in bonsai", (whatever being "in bonsai" means). Is knowledge of "the art world" a prerequisite for having a tree in pot? Should we turn in our tools and give our trees to our betters if we just don't give a rat's behind about "the art world"? Will our subscriptions to Bonsai Today be cancelled if the truth becomes known? Will we be banned from buying akadama? :eek:

grouper52
grouper52,

my remark was not at all aimed at the innocnet bonsai grower who may or may not have a clue. It was aiemd at the ones who on all forums DEMAND that a person who writes about bonsai, who organizes contests, who runs a bonsai society, who is editor of a bonai magazine, who manages a national collection, who writes a book about bonsai art, who runs a bonsai fourm and so on, MUST prove his abiility to create masterpiece bonsai by showing what he has produced. This theme comes up all over the places and endless messages have more or less forced a few and especially Will to show or shut up. But this is not about Will really, who can defend himself. It is about the general notion that someone HAS TO SHOW OR SHUT UP. If this notion were applied in the art world in general there would be no competent gallerists, museum directors, magazine editors, critics, organizers of exhibits authots of books and so on.
Only in the bonsai world this demand seems to make sense to many. And this is what I call clueless. It only shows that the bonsai world by and large has not arrived in the world of arts yet.
While one should know what he speaks about it is absolutely not essential to be and artist and have prduced grat art. On the other hand the greatest artists can talk a lot of bull about art. Artists in general are not good at explaining what they are doing and often they are very poor in judging someone else's work or words. I know an illiterate bonsai artist who is world class. Artists often have no clue about the art world outside their little horizon either.
The art world functions very well with the key driving forces NOT being artists. The fact that the bonsai world is not functioning to our satsifaction is NOT due to the fact that it is run by 'ignorants' it is rather due to the fact that it is run by 'incompetents':

Reaction score
USDA Zone
grouper52,

my remark was not at all aimed at the innocnet bonsai grower who may or may not have a clue. It was aiemd at the ones who on all forums DEMAND that a person who writes about bonsai, who organizes contests, who runs a bonsai society, who is editor of a bonai magazine, who manages a national collection, who writes a book about bonsai art, who runs a bonsai fourm and so on, MUST prove his abiility to create masterpiece bonsai by showing what he has produced. This theme comes up all over the places and endless messages have more or less forced a few and especially Will to show or shut up. But this is not about Will really, who can defend himself. It is about the general notion that someone HAS TO SHOW OR SHUT UP. If this notion were applied in the art world in general there would be no competent gallerists, museum directors, magazine editors, critics, organizers of exhibits authots of books and so on.
Only in the bonsai world this demand seems to make sense to many. And this is what I call clueless. It only shows that the bonsai world by and large has not arrived in the world of arts yet.
While one should know what he speaks about it is absolutely not essential to be and artist and have prduced grat art. On the other hand the greatest artists can talk a lot of bull about art. Artists in general are not good at explaining what they are doing and often they are very poor in judging someone else's work or words. I know an illiterate bonsai artist who is world class. Artists often have no clue about the art world outside their little horizon either.
The art world functions very well with the key driving forces NOT being artists. The fact that the bonsai world is not functioning to our satsifaction is NOT due to the fact that it is run by 'ignorants' it is rather due to the fact that it is run by 'incompetents':

It's interesting now that the shoe is on the other foot, how much defense is made for this position. I remember like it was just last year (oh wait, it was!) hearing repeatedly that I didn't have a gallery, didn't show any good trees, and should put up or shut up, mainly from Will and Vance.

This is my difficulty with "Bonsai as Art." It seems to me, that if you are going to call something art, you should be able to clearly define art. And if the modern definition of almost anything goes as long as the effete elite say it's art, then I am OUT. The real artistry is trying to align ourselves with the "avant-garde" and claiming that we are the new impressionists or abstract artists. I can't wait for bonsai's Andy Warhol!

We see long-winded discusssions about ownership and artistic credit for bonsai. The fact is that a masterpiece tree will take care of itself as to who designed it and who has had it since. In fact, some of the trees on the Old World v. New World Bonsai Throwdown have been so well documented that most people know whose they are. Doesn't mean they are masterpieces, but there are a couple that I might accord that approbation. But everyone will know whose the tree was when it hit the "big time" until the day the tree falls into mediocrity or gains new fame with a new style. This matter is trivial with no gain to the art and practice of bonsai.

Sorry to step on toes, but I have always found that when those who see themselves as "elite" or "intellectual" look down on the rest of us, it kind of gets my back up. I have all the intellectual capacity of any of them, but I also have the capacity to see through the tortured explications of "meaning" for pieces like Marcel Duchamp's "Urinal," oops, "Fountain," or for performance pieces which receive national grants like the woman who spread chocolate over her naked body, or homeless activists who cashed the check and handed cash to homeless people and called it performance art.

So if some are looking to build a whole "overclass" of those who produce abstract trees, and impressionistic trees, and avant-garde trees, and expect the rest of us to "Oooh" and "Aaaah," well, then, they are welcome to it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Greg's rules of life and ego restraint:

1) No one knows everything.
2) If you think you know everything, see #1.
3) If you act like you know everything, you annoy the rest of us who know you don't.
4) Since I don't and can't know everything, the pursuit of knowledge is an ongoing journey that has no end.
5) Life is a pursuit of knowledge, when I stop learning I start dying.

I think all these discussions about who knows more are somewhat pointless. I would rather people would share their thoughts, and then we would have the opportunity to distill them ourselves, and decide what we will keep and what we will discard.

Why do people get so hung up on "who" the owner is of a particular tree, how much of the tree's design and maintenance was actually created by the owner, etc. Does the name of an owner really change the beauty of the tree? I can appreciate someone's skill separate from appreciating the end result of that skill. Bonsai exhibits (at least the ones I have been to) judge trees NOT owners. Just because some bank president in Japan owns a collection of extremely expensive bonsai does not make him a master bonsai designer. (You could say the same about any fine art).

However I agree with the comments here about anyone should feel free to comment about bonsai, about what they like about a tree's design, etc, without having to show that they have designed and cared for award-winning trees. Just like you can be a excellent sports referee without having played the sport a day in your life, you can be a great art judge without being an artist. The bank president in my earlier example may not like to get his hands dirty, but he can still appreciate the beauty of bonsai, and may have very refined talent for selecting the best trees. The one thing that is required is a list (formal or informal) of criteria that is used to evaluate or "grade" a tree, and this list needs to be agreed to and followed by the participants in the art. Consider it the "language" of the art, with all the nuances that entails. These criteria may be quantitative, or they may be qualitative and difficult to evaluate - however they still need to exist. Otherwise I would argue that you don't really have an "art".

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter, thank you for your very helpful clarification.

grouper52

Top Bottom