Dying Fukien Tea Bonsai - Help!

Reaction score
Have had this tree for a couple years, grows very fast, used to have to trim the branches quite a bit. Did a major trim a couple months ago. Now the leaves have all turned wilted and slightly brown except for 2 new branches toward the bottom. Have done nothing but water this plant since I got it. Any ideas? No overt signs of pests.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 65

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hard to tell but it could be a root issue.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
welcome as well, first put in your location so we can assist you better.What are your watering practices? is it inside or outside?
how much ligt does it get?fukien trees are extremely fussy , they are tropical trees and dont always do well as indoor plants.prefer
to be outdoors for the summer if you live in a cold climate.I myself killed 2 of them . and dont know why or how.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe it's has been too long inside and is exhausted (most plants need some sort of season change so they can rest), or being too long in the same soil-mix, it looks compact and is not good for the roots. Also if you moved it, it's possible he don't like the place because of a breeze perhaps. But, I'm also a beginner, so it could be anything ;) Welcome to the forum!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks it has suffered from being dry. The dry leaves got wilted still green. Maybe too much fert?

Looking at the third picture, the bark is already shrinking and it means the branch is definitely dead. Those green branches are keepers and future of your tree.

You mentioned you had had this tree for a couple years... How long, and how many times has it been repotted? Maybe this can be it's chance.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine is turning yellow and dropping leaves. I did an emergency repot and changed the soil. Different problem, but that is what I would recommend for your Fukien.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I bought one a couple months ago, that promptly turned yellow, and dropped all of it's leaves. I kept watering it, and it bounced back with a ton of new leaves and flowers. I think the shipping stressed it out. But my leaves didn't get all crispy and dried out like yours. Just turned yellow, and dropped.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Really hard to tell, but with the amount of dead leaves in the pot, it might have a case of rotting roots. I would also try a repot.

Top Bottom